12. Breaking

12. Breaking

The summer seemed to go by in the blink of an eye.

Mitch was scheduled to resume classes tomorrow, and he was simply dreading it.

The summer had certainly been a good one, in Mitch's mind. Sure, he hadn't made much money, having spent most of it in an unpaid internship and the rest as a barista at their local coffee shop, but he had earned something much more valuable, in his mind, anyway.

He and Scott were official. A couple. Dating.

Scott Hoying was his, and he was Scott Hoying's.

The thought still made him giddy.

Summer hadn't gone by without a few incidents. Scott had had one particularly bad week, and they weren't sure if he was going to have to return to the hospital. But the seizures calmed down over the course of a few days, and Mitch made sure that he was there to keep him company in their aftermath as much as possible.

Even if seeing Scott this way was killing him.

There was something exciting about being somebody's first.

Get your mind out of the gutter. He didn't mean it that way.

Yet.

But showing someone what it was to be in a relationship for the first time was something that Mitch found he adored.

Or maybe it was just that it was Scott. He couldn't be sure.

But being his first kiss, his first make-out, the first to touch him, to allow him to touch, to hold and be held, to fall asleep with one another.

Accidentally, of course. They still lived in their parents' houses, after all.

The touching certainly hadn't been accidental.

And Mitch couldn't wait to take it further than that.

He hopped out of the shower to get ready for his final day spent with Scott before schoolwork took over his life again. He checked his phone, and frowned when Scott hadn't yet answered his last text, sent over an hour ago.

Mitch: 10:30 still ok?

He put down the phone and glanced at the clock. It was 10:15. He supposed that he would simply have to surprise him.

Served him right, for not answering.

Fifteen minutes later, he rang the bell and took a step back. He could see Bubba peering at him through the window, but other than that, he saw no sign of anyone.

Just as he was turning to leave, the door opened.

"Hey, Mitch..." Lauren said, her expression blank. Mitch could just make out someone unfamiliar moving about in the kitchen behind her, and assumed that it was her fiancé.

"Hey. Scott ready yet?" Mitch asked, though he felt stupid for doing so. He knew that something wasn't right, here.

"Wanna come in and have a seat?"

"Wanna tell me what you clearly need to tell me?" Mitch bit back a bit too hard as he was led to the living room.

"Scott fell in the shower this morning," she replied, quietly. "He had a seizure, fell and hit his head. They took him to the hospital. He..." she looked down and took a breath. "He cut his head open on the track for the shower door. And his wrist, they think it might be broken."