17. Second Wave

17. Second Wave

"God fucking dammit," Rick cried through clenched teeth, falling to his knees beside the blond. He dialed 911, but this time, he didn't hesitate to press the call button.

Mitch could only half-hear the conversation, but he knew that an ambulance was coming. He counted in his head, and fought back tears somewhere around minute two.

He wished that he could reach out to him, to whisper to him, to tell him that everything was going to be okay.

Scott became still after just under four minutes, this time.

Mitch couldn't imagine that a total of somewhere around nine whole minutes was anything but painful.

Watching Rick become this frustrated only made his own dread worse.

"The one time Connie goes out, I swear..." Rick mumbled, laughing humorlessly.

Mitch felt horribly for the man.

The doorbell rang and Rick leapt up, disappearing and returning with EMS in tow.

Mitch suddenly couldn't breathe.

He tried to, he really did, but the view of Scott's lifeless body being lifted onto a gurney was too much.

Breathe, you idiot. Passing out would be downright embarrassing.

He gasped for breath, and the sound must have been louder than he thought. An EMT turned to him, her eyes concerned, as Scott was wheeled outside.

"You okay, sweetheart?"

Mitch tried to nod, but he was feeling lightheaded.

"Deep breath. He's okay," she soothed, reaching out to grab his arm. "Sit down with me."

She guided him to a chair and they sank down together.

"Good job. Nice, deep breaths. Scott's okay."

You don't know that, Mitch thought, angrily.

He sat beside Rick in the waiting room, staring straight ahead, two hours later.

"Connie's on her way," Rick muttered, putting his phone away. "Hey, kid. Look at me."

Mitch tried his best to hold the older man's gaze without crying, but as soon as they locked eyes, his lip quivered.

"I'm sorry, Mitch."

Mitch's eyes widened. "What for?"

Rick reached out, patting Mitch on the knee. "I was caught up. I didn't mean to snap at you."

"Don't be silly. I was the one who was frozen..."

"Which is a completely normal reaction. I know it was shocking. I didn't mean to yell." Rick looked down at his feet, and took a deep breath before continuing. "I also didn't mean to insinuate that whatever happened before these seizures was definitely the cause of them. I always ask that question of Scott as soon as he comes to and can tell me. I'm just..." Rick's voice cracked and he paused. "I'm just trying to make sense of something that is a complete mystery. There's just... no damn pattern."

Mitch didn't know what to say. Before he could even register his movement, he reached out, grasping the man's hand in his own. Rick looked up, shocked by the contact.

Mitch turned his gaze to the floor, unable to say anything, and quite honestly, feeling quite stupid for his reflexive action. But Rick squeezed his hand tightly a moment later, and Mitch released a breath that he didn't realize he had been holding.