14. Maybe You Should Leave

It was two days later when Mitch heard from him. He wasn't sure why he had been expecting something more climactic than a text message, but his phone buzzed and he was left disappointed.

Scott: Hi

Mitch's heart was conflicted. Part of it swelled at the sight of his boyfriend's name. The other clenched painfully at the cold greeting.

The combination felt borderline fatal.

Mitch: What can I do? What do you need?

Scott: I'm good. Don't need anything. Thank you though

Mitch: Want me to be there for the wake? The whole thing? I'll stand right up there next to you.

Scott: That's okay. It's gonna be rough. A lot of distant family. More of a chore than anything. Was thinking that maybe we can wait to talk until after the funeral on Friday? It's gonna be a busy few days

The back of Mitch's eyes began to sting.

Mitch: Of course. Whatever you need though, please call me?

Scott: Will do. Thanks, Mitch

The phone fell from his grasp and he clutched his knees to his chest, feeling worse than before.

He arrived at the wake with Kirstie and Matt on Wednesday. His parents were to come later, after work. Kirstie grabbed his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze as they made their way inside.

Scott stood at the front, his oldest sister by his side. On the other side of the room were his parents, smiling politely as someone spoke to them with her hands clasped with Connie's.

Next to Scott was the unfamiliar man from their house, the day that Scott had fallen. It had since been confirmed that he was Lauren's fiancé, Derek. Mitch had met him a few times, and it hit him in the gut that he hadn't once thought of how this man was feeling in the past week.

As they stood in line, getting closer to the siblings and to Derek, Mitch took in Scott's appearance. He was clad in a black suit with Bubba at his feet. Roxy sat obediently at Derek's heels, but looked lost. It broke Mitch's heart. Scott's face was a shade of pale that rivaled his complexion in the hospital, but he looked strong and handsome, mirroring his mother's polite smile as people offered their condolences.

The whole family was stoic, like warriors, afraid to show too much emotion.

When they arrived to the front, Matt intercepted the first hug.

"I'm so sorry, Scott," Mitch could hear him whispering.

"Thanks for coming, guys." Scott released Matt and gestured to his sister. "This is my oldest sister, Lindsay. Linds, this is Matt, Kirstie, and Mitch."

Lindsay's eyes brightened just a bit at the sound of the final name. "So nice to meet you guys."

Scott rigidly patted Derek on the shoulder. "Derek, you know Mitch, but this is Kirstie and Matt."

Derek reached forward, taking each of their hands, but looking absolutely, one-hundred-percent dead inside.

Mitch couldn't even begin to imagine.

Scott looked around the room, appearing to be uncomfortable. Mitch was suddenly unsure how to act. Should he hug him? Kiss him on the cheek?

"Talk to you later?" Scott asked, his voice nearly a plea.