9. Spending More Time

Finals week was really doing its best to keep Mitch from his end of the smothering bargain.

Scott had also known of Mitch's crazy schedule this week, and had refrained from texting and calling too much.

Mitch found himself aching to be close to him again.

It left him dumbfounded, how he could have become so attached so quickly.

He put his pen down. He was done. That was his last one. Junior year of his college career was officially over.

Thank God.

"Mitch Grassi! Good to see you!" Kevin said as he approached Mitch in the small hospital room. "Give me an update."

Mitch found himself smiling at the doctor, fondly. It was a strange thing to admit, but he had actually missed this man and his kind heart. He was here for his follow-up appointment, as promised.

"Well, I met Bubba."

Kevin laughed. "He's a sweet little guy, isn't he? And I would love to hear all about Scott, but today we are here for you, kid."

Mitch shrugged. "I'm good."

"How often are your migraines?"

"Three times a week... ish?"

Kevin nodded. "How often are you taking your meds?"

"Each time."

"And are they working?"

"Yep."

"You tend to clam up when you're talking about yourself."

"Seems trivial."

Kevin nodded, understandingly. "I know. Seeing someone suffer more than you makes you question every complaint you'll ever have. Trust me, I get it." He put his clipboard down. "But we each have our own pain. Our own problems. I'm sure that Scott has already told you that this isn't a competition."

Mitch laughed at the word, thinking back to his conversation with Scott at the fair.

'I always win when there's a competition involved.'

"I know. I'm okay though. The meds work fine."

"Okay. We'll refill those for you. Anything else popping up that's concerning you?"

Mitch shook his head.

"Great. I think I'd like to see you in three months. Other than that, you're free! Unless you'd like to tell me more about Bubba." Kevin shot him a teasing smile.

"I have a question."

"Shoot."

"What's the life expectancy of someone with Scott's form of epilepsy?"

"That's... a loaded and very complicated question to answer."

"Try me."

"Scott's form of epilepsy is the most common. Juvenile Myoclonic. But his resistance to medication is where it gets complicated."

Mitch nodded. He bit his tongue from blurting, 'I know this part, already.'

"I can't speak about Scott to you, technically. HIPAA laws prevent that."

Mitch nodded again, fighting an eyeroll this time.

"But life expectancy in epilepsy is tricky. Once diagnosed, that's often when your life expectancy is cut the shortest. The longer you live with it, and the more in control it becomes, your life expectancy sort of... elongates again. Does that make sense?"