22. No More

22. No More

Trying to wait for news from Scott was like trying to squeeze water from a stone. Months went by and Mitch still wasn't even entirely sure if this device was looking promising.

At face value, it certainly didn't seem to be working. Scott had been gone for nearly three months, and seizures were still occurring too rapidly and intensely for him to be released from Dr. Hammond's care.

Scott was supposed to be returning home soon. He had given Mitch a timeline of about three months. The fact that it wasn't seemingly going to happen left Mitch feeling uneasy, frustrated, and downright sick with the feeling of missing him.

He had considered flying out for a long weekend as spring came around, but Scott's messages and phone conversations indicated a coldness that made Mitch question if he wanted to see him at all.

Mitch wondered if Scott even considered them to be dating, at this point. Did he ever even think of him?

"Hey, Mitch. Wait up."

Mitch halted at the top of the ominous stairs on campus, turning to face his classmate. He wracked his brain to remember the man's name.

It's Beau. You've had the same classes for two straight years.

"Hey, Beau."

Beau fell into stride with him as they descended the stairs. "Do you understand what we have to do for our final project?"

"Yeah, well enough, I think."

"Can you help me?"

Mitch paused, looking into Beau's eyes. The man looked hopeful. "Me?"

Beau smiled. "Yeah. You seem to know what you're doing. And anyway, I've been meaning to speak to you for a while..."

Mitch blushed, and he wasn't sure why. "Sure. I can help you."

"Really?" Beau was beaming now, and Mitch took a moment to look him over. He was very handsome, with pretty eyes.

They weren't quite as pretty as Scott's, but Mitch knew that that was a damn near-impossible feat.

That Saturday, they met at a coffee shop.

He hadn't bothered to tell Matt and Kirstie where he was going when they asked him to hang out today. It would only make them ask questions, after all.

They weren't getting much work done, Mitch noticed, after about an hour of laughing with one another.

Beau looked past Mitch's open books, suddenly. "Your phone keeps blowing up, Mitch." He smiled as he looked at the screen, but it faltered slightly. "Cute lock screen."

Mitch grabbed for the phone, unsure of why he felt embarrassed by the compliment. He swiped the picture of himself in Scott's arms away. "Th-thanks." He checked his notifications. He had five texts from Scott.

Sure, now you want to talk, Mitch thought, as he opened the messages.

Scott (11:05): Hope you slept better than I did. I feel like I got hit by a bus.

Scott (11:12): I miss you lying with me. I always sleep better that way.

Scott (11:45): Didn't even realize it's Saturday. All of the days are running together. Any plans?

Scott (12:05): Well... Matt just called me. So I know you aren't hanging out with him lol

Scott (12:12): Whatever you're doing, I hope you're having a good day 🥰 Call me when you can? I have to fill you in on something...