27. A Little Good News

On Monday night, Mitch was ready to punch something.

No. Someone.

Namely, his boss.

He was muttering about the horrible man as he sifted through his refrigerator for anything that resembled something that he could eat for dinner, when he heard his favorite voice again.

"You okay?"

Mitch smiled, despite himself, and shut the fridge door. "Hey, you."

Scott returned the smile, placing his hands in the pockets of his jeans. "Hey. Matt and I ordered food. We ordered extra for you, if you can wait twenty minutes for it to get here."

"Sounds good," Mitch replied, his voice distant. Scott clearly picked up on this and took a step closer.

"Bad day?"

Mitch nodded. "I hate this job more than anything."

"So why are you still there?"

Mitch blinked at the man in front of him, as though it was obvious. "I went to school for four damn years for communications. This is like, the only thing I can do with that stupid degree."

Scott shrugged. "Doesn't mean you have to work for Satan himself," he teased. "Isn't your boss the problem?"

Mitch flopped down at the table, placing his head in his hands. "Yeah. You're right. It would definitely be more tolerable if my boss wasn't a giant, sexist, racist, homophobe."

"Ahh, the trifecta. How does he feel about disabilities?"

Mitch couldn't help but smirk. "He would hate you."

"Ahh, well, fuck him then."

"No, thanks."

Before he knew it, they were laughing, and Mitch realized how much he had needed that.

He texted Scott on Thursday to let him know some great news. He had applied for a new job, just as Scott had encouraged him to, and they wanted him to come in for an interview.

But his texts went unanswered for two hours. This never failed to make Mitch think the worst, and he found himself calling Scott with shaky hands.

"Hello?" Scott answered on the third ring. That wasn't typically how he answered the phone, but Mitch felt relief that he answered at all.

"Hey, jerk. Answer your texts before you give me a heart attack," Mitch retorted, but he couldn't hide the fondness in his voice.

Scott chuckled. "Sorry. I can't read my texts right now."

"What? Why?"

"Because my eyes are closed."

His voice was casual, but the contents of his words didn't make much sense.

"Wh-why?" Mitch asked.

"Because I've been seeing double for two hours."

"Where are you?" Mitch asked, getting his shoes on as quickly as possible.

"In my bed. I'm fine. It'll go back to normal soon. One time it took four hours."

"Kay..."

"Mitch?"

"Mmm?"

"You don't have to come over."

"Tough shit. See you soon."