14. Someone's memory (2/2)

[AN - I will just explain simply on what the texts styles mean in this chapter and the previous chapter. Bold text like this means that Yoriichi is speaking. Then, italic bold text like this means that Yoriichi is telling what he said while narrating his story to Sumiyoshi and Satoshi. (Satoshi is currently inheriting the memories of Sumiyoshi, his ancestor.) For example, I told him, "My name is Yoriichi Tsugikuni." Here, the bold text is Yoriichi's speech and the italic bold text is also Yoriichi's speech but he is narrating it to someone in the form of a direct speech. Then normal text like this implies the thought or speech of Sumiyoshi/Satoshi. Then italic text like this implies either author's note that is AN, or it's the same thing as italic bold but the direct speech belongs to someone else's speech, not Yoriichi. I hope you understand. I m a very bad teacher. If you still don't understand, read the previous chapter and this chapter while keeping my explanation in mind. I believe you will get it. If not, that's not my problem. Lol......jk, plz don't kill me........anyways, let's get to the chapter.]

___________________________________________

'Then how about I go home with you?' "she looked at me, her eyes were like obsidian.
The girl's name was Uta. And that's how Uta and I started living together."

"Uta was a girl who talked from day to night. But thanks to her, I learned that people saw things differently from me.
She said that she had never heard of anyone who could see through a living creature's body. That moment was the first time I learned about the vague reason behind my feeling of alienation."

"Uta held my hands as if it was a kite whose string got cut loose. She always made sure to hold it tightly."

"Ten years later, we became husband and wife. When Uta was in her last month of pregnancy, I went to fetch a midwife so we could prepare for the birth. I was planning to return before the sunset. But along the way, I ran into an old man trying to travel over three mountains. His heart wasn't doing well. But he was rushing because his son was on the verge of death after being wounded in a battle. So, I accompanied the old man to his son's place. Then I decided to wait until tomorrow to get the midwife.

 Then I decided to wait until tomorrow to get the midwife

I got home as fast as I could, but the sun had set. And Uta had been killed with the unborn child."

I was shocked hearing the tragic story of Yoriichi-san. He then continued, "Even if something is more precious to you than your own life, others can easily trample over it."
"I spent ten days absentmindedly embracing the corpses of my wife and unborn child, until a swordsman, who had been chasing the demon, told me that they should receive a proper burial to respect their souls."

"My dream was to live a quite life with my family. A small home was fine. I wanted to sleep with our futons side by side. A distance where I could see the faces of my loved ones. A distance in which I could immediately grab their hands if I reached out for it. That would have been enough for me. But even that would never come true. Because demons existed in this beautiful world."