55

Hero

"Fuck!" I yelled, slamming my hands against my steering wheel as I got stopped at a red light.

I was on my way to Amelia's house. Today was the day- I knew it. I'd woken up with a terrible feeling in my stomach, just because I knew that today was the day.

I leaned my head back against my seat, attempting to breathe. I knew it wasn't my decision to make. I knew I couldn't even change her mind.

But I was going to try.

The light turned green and I stepped on the gas pedal, speeding in front of everyone else. I turned into Amelia's neighborhood, aimlessly searching for her house. It stuck out like a sore thumb- her yard was definitely the nicest on the block.

As soon as I spotted the bright, green grass and flowers, I let out a sigh. I pulled into her driveway and turned off my car, opening my door. I slammed it shut and walked up to her door, knocking on it.

"Amelia!" I yelled, "Amelia-"

The door flew open and her father stood there, his eyes locked on me.

"Sir, i-is Amelia there? I-I need to see-"

"You need to back the hell up," he calmly said, "don't take one more step."

"Sir, please," I said, my voice breaking, "I-I-"

"Get the hell off of my doorstep," he said, "I mean it."

"Can I just see her?" I asked.

"No!" He yelled, "get off of my lawn!"

He shoved me back and I let out a breath, my anger definitely building to be more intense than it already was.

"If I see your name come across her phone, if I see your face anywhere, if I see you anywhere near her," he sneered, "I-"

"Ron!"

I saw Amelia's mom, I was assuming, grab his arm.

"Leave him be," her mom firmly said, her eyes meeting mine for a second.

"No," her dad said, "if I see you near her, if you even think about my daughter, it will not end well, Hero. I can assure your ass of that."

I put myself in Mr. Grey's shoes for a second- if the guy who'd knocked up my daughter was standing in front of me, I'd probably want to knock his ass out, too. No doubt about it.

But it still didn't make it better for me, right now in this situation.

"Leave!" He yelled, slamming the door shut behind him.

I clenched my jaw and raked my hands through my hair, holding in my anger until I made it inside my car.

I exhaled, attempting to just breathe it out.

But that didn't typically work for me.

"Fuck!" I screamed, wanting to throw something. Wanting to hit something. Anything.

I turned on my car and let out one last breath, speeding the entire way home. I needed silence, maybe the gym to help me relax.

I swerved into my designated parking space at the house, and even the fact that Fran's car was parked a little too close to the line pissed me off. I walked inside and slammed the door shut, walking into the kitchen.

I'd never felt anger to this degree. Ever. I'd been pissed before- I'd nearly killed a guy in his yard. But for some reason, I was incredibly, inexplicably pissed right now.