36

Hero

I turned off my car, letting out a heavy sigh as my head fell back against my headrest.

Put on the smile, Hero.

I'd never been more exhausted in my life. I didn't think it was possible to have so much on my mind, but it in fact was possible.

I cleared my throat and gave myself one last glance in the mirror, clenching my jaw before opening my door and stepping out of my car.

I smiled as soon as I saw Josie, nodding. "Hey."

She walked over to me, shaking her head. "I can't fucking believe my parents."

I lifted my eyebrows, looking down at her as I leaned against my car. "Oh?"

"Oh," she glumly said, rolling her eyes, "I'm so done with them."

"Well, I'm sure they've wanted to be done with your difficult ass, too."

She smiled up at me as we began to walk. I wrapped my hand around the strap of my backpack, my tongue in my bottom lip.

"So you can finally play again," she said, looking up at me.

"Finally," I said, when realistically, I really didn't even have the headspace for that currently.

I mean, is this what this does to people? Makes them hate even the things they love most in the world?

"Hey, are you good?" She asked, grabbing my arm as she stopped.

I bit down on my lip, dreading this question. I plastered on a smile, looking down at her. "You know me, Jo."

She smiled. "Hey, Amelia's up there."

"You're not letting up on that, are you?"

"She's so pretty, smart, and sweet. Well, sweet enough. How sweet are you really if you're a seventeen year old girl?"

I smiled a fake smile. Josie walked a few steps ahead of me, looking over her shoulder. "Eros is waiting. Bye, see you later."

"Bye," I said, walking up the steps by myself. I got greetings from everyone, because everyone knew Hero King.

But I didn't know him anymore.

"Hey," a soft voice called out, making me look over at Amelia.

"Hey," I said, smiling a weak smile.

We walked inside together, and as soon as we got to our lockers, she leaned against hers. "You look tired."

"I am fucking tired," I muttered, opening my locker.

I felt a fingertip brush against my jaw, making me freeze. I hadn't felt a comforting touch that I'd actually allowed in quite some time.

I looked down at her after a few seconds, realizing that I didn't really have to put on a front with Amelia.

"I'm really tired," I softly said, nodding down at her.

She nodded. "That's okay. High school sucks."

She casually opened her arms and I rested my head on her shoulder, clenching my jaw. I closed my eyes and relaxed into her, but not letting myself get too comfortable.

"I think I got dog hair on my head," I muttered, leaning up as I scrubbed my palm across my forehead.

She laughed. "You probably did. My dog will not get off of me, I don't know why. She just won't leave."