46

Hero

I knocked on Fran's door, using my knee to hold up the tray of food in hopes of not dropping it.

I'd requested Mom help me make her breakfast- I'd gone to hibernate in my room in hopes of avoiding her yesterday.

But today was a new day, and I wanted to make things right.

"Come in," she sweetly said, making me nervously reach for her door handle.

I opened her door, my eyes meeting hers. I was nervous- I was terrified that my best friend in the whole world hated me.

"Hi," she greeted, crossing her legs as she sat upright.

"H-hey," I greeted, "I-I brought you breakfast."

She looked up at me as I walked over to her, chewing on her lip. She grabbed her glasses and slid them on her face, smiling down at the array of food in front of her.

"I'm gonna put my money on the fact that you didn't make all of this."

"I helped," I softly said, shooting her a smile.

She smiled, reaching for the glass of water first. She gulped down a few sips and wiped the corner of her mouth, looking up at me as she placed it on her nightstand.

"I'm sorry for making you cry," I said, "I-I never, ever want to make you upset."

She shook her head, drizzling some syrup across the waffle in front of her. "Hero."

"No," I said, "you know what, I can lose it on everyone else in my life, but not you. I can't do that."

"Okay, well, it also wasn't my place to tell Amelia. Anyone, for that fact. It wasn't my business to tell."

"But you were right, she deserved to know."

"Well, not from me," she said.

I looked over at her, sighing. "Do you hate me?"

She looked up at me, shaking her head. "I could never hate you, Hero."

"I'm so sorry," I muttered, bracing my elbows on my thighs.

"It's okay. I'm sorry, too."

"I-I'm gonna try to get some new medicine," I said, "that's not ever going to happen again."

"Hero, stop beating yourself up," she said, "okay, I was in the wrong."

"Okay, that doesn't matter," I said.

"It does," she muttered, lifting an eyebrow as she took a bite of her waffle.

She cautiously slid the tray towards me, nodding down at the food. "It's a lot, I can't eat it by myself."

"I've actually already eaten," I said, chuckling, "my appetite, it's been crazy."

"That's good," she said, smiling a hopeful smile.

I bit down on my lip, clenching my jaw. "W-well, I'll-"

"Hey, is there anything else you need to talk about?" She asked.

"Why?" I asked.

Have you already made it obvious that you knocked up a girl and you're stressed out about it?

She shrugged. "I'm just trying to be there for you. More than I have been."

"You've been there for me," I said, "since day one."

She smiled up at me as I stood up.

"Hey, how are things going with Brian? Is he treating you right?"