29

Fred

"Alright, it's 929," Henry said from over the phone, making me nod.

"Okay, I see it," I said, "love you."

"Love you," he said before hanging up.

I let out a loud sigh. I had zero desire to go to Alexis's apartment, but here I was, returning her undergarments and watch.

I stood in front of her door. I even considered just leaving it there for her to find later, because I really didn't want to see her, either.

We hadn't spoken a single word to one another after our disagreement in my office, and as the days passed, I progressively got more agitated with her.

I knocked on the door, leaning against the wall as I waited on her to open it.

"Coming," I heard her pleasant voice sing, making me place my tongue in my bottom lip.

She opened the door and her soft smile diminished, and instead, her lips parted.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Well, you've never been one for pleasantries," I deadpanned, my jaw taut.

She cleared her throat, raking her fingers through her hair. "I-I thought you were my food."

"I could be, if you'd put your pride aside," I said, holding out her bag to her.

She tilted her head over, her eyes holding the same defeated look that they had for months now.

"That was rude," I muttered, rubbing my hands down my face, "I'm sorry."

"Long day?" She softly asked.

"Hell of a day," I muttered, keeping my eyes lowered to the bag hanging on my index finger.

She stepped aside, nodding towards her apartment. "You can come in."

My eyes met hers before I stepped inside, looking around the posh space.

It was crisp, clean, everything that our home was.

"You've got a type," I said, placing the bag on her marble kitchen counters.

She smiled a soft smile. "Yeah."

I leaned against the island, keeping my eyes locked on hers. There was no denying that she looked absolutely beautiful.

"What's the occasion?" I curiously asked.

"I met with one of my clients today," she said.

"Planning a wedding?" I bitterly asked, tapping my pointer finger against the cold marble.

"Fred, get out if you're going to keep being cold," she said, shaking her head.

"I have a right to be cold," I said, my eyebrows in a deep furrow.

"Because I told you we couldn't have sex anymore?" She laughed out, tilting her head over.

"No, because everything you wanted, I let you have," I said, "did I want everything to fall to pieces? Hell no, I didn't. But I let it, because you wanted it to."

"Maybe that's the problem, Fred!" She yelled, "you let it!"

"Are you turning this shit around on me?" I laughed out, completely flabbergasted.

"N-No," she stuttered out, but still adamantly enough to get her point across, "no."

"Well, it kinda seems like you are," I snapped, nodding.