27

Josie

"Thanks for the ride!" Ana yelled, smiling as she got out of my car.

"Yeah," I said, waving goodbye before I drove off.

"Hey Siri," I said, "text Dad. Gonna stay with Ana. Goodnight, love you."

The text sent and I drummed my fingers against the steering wheel, biting down on my lip as I looked in my rear view. I always got anxious lying to Dad, but it wasn't like I could tell him that I was going to Eros's.

Luckily, Eros only lived a few neighborhoods away from Ana. The drive was short, and if it would've been any longer than it was, I would've gotten more impatient than I already was.

I made it to Eros's, flipping open my mirror to take one last glance at myself.

"You're fine," I muttered to myself, opening my car door. I walked to his door, knocking on it a few times before it opened.

He stood in front of me, his eyes locked on mine.

"I-I'm sorry," I said, "about overreacting. I know you only see your brother, like, twice a year."

"Come in, if you'd like," he casually said, leaning against the threshold.

I brushed past him, folding my arms over my chest as I turned around to face him.

"But you didn't tell him about me, Eros," I said, completely defeated.

His prominent jaw taut, he leaned against his couch. He folded his arms over his chest and kept his eyes on me as we stood in silence.

"You haven't told Henry about me," he shrugged.

Valid.

"You could've," I said, matching his shrug.

"And you," he said, nodding.

"Eros, it's the principle of the thing. You haven't told anyone. You've had so many op-"

"I don't know how, Josephine."

I tilted my head over. "Really? That's your excuse?"

"I don't know how to bring you up, because I don't know how to explain you. I don't know how to explain you and I. I don't know if there is an explanation for what you are to me."

"You're gonna have to water that down," I deadpanned.

"It's beyond words," he began, "it's beyond high school love, Josie. It's like two souls being placed on this earth over and over again with their main purpose to be to make it back to each other, every single time."

He shrugged, chewing on his lip. "I don't know how else to put it. And I'm not sure Henry nor my brother could understand that."

I blinked back tears, looking down. "That's how you feel?"

He nodded. "Yeah."

I let out a breath, looking away from him. "Well, why didn't you say that before?"

"I only get these epiphanies when you're standing in front of me," he said, walking towards me.

"I bet you have a really good grade in Literature right now," I whispered, looking up at him.

He laughed, wrapping his arms around my neck. "Ninety-eight, baby."

I giggled, resting my chin against his chest. "I'll tell Henny if you tell Ares."

"I really think we need to tell Henry together. For if and when he passes out, and needs lifted into-"

I giggled. "Deal."