Chapter 63: Director! Cut These Out!

Начните с самого начала

"When this segment airs, we're not cutting out a single second," Director Zhang fumed. "Let's see how Jiang Xun justifies his actions then."

Elsewhere, after Jiang Xun finished 'living up to his name', he reluctantly let go of Gu Wei and helped him straighten out the collar of his robes, which had gotten a bit mussed up.

"Director Zhang has a good eye for these things," Jiang Xun mused. "Your costume looks great on you."

"The drones are here," Gu Wei whispered.

"Then let's continue recording." Jiang Xun reached out and turned both their mics back on.

Gu Wei blinked. "You…"

No wonder Jiang Xun had been so bold. There had been no cameras on them, and their mics had been off. Besides the two of them, no one knew what had happened between them just now.

"Director!" the crew called out from inside the surveillance room. "Jiang Xun and Gu Wei turned their mics back on."

Director Zhang perked up with surprise. "Alright, let me have a listen."

Through his headset, Jiang Xun and Gu Wei began to speak.

"You already heard about my mission?" Jiang Xun was asking.

"I heard," Gu Wei answered. "You're supposed to get rid of that royal consort."

"Then, what's your mission?" Jiang Xun asked.

The director was baffled.

Those two were actually seriously discussing their tasks.

Impossible. Jiang Xun abducted Gu Wei just to talk about their tasks?

Director Zhang didn't even have to think about it to know something was wrong.

Gu Wei had been thoroughly flustered by Jiang Xun's advances, but he did at least remember his role and his mission. "I have the same task as you."

"Really?" Jiang Xun asked.

Gu Wei nodded.

Their camera crews had finally caught up, and the recording was officially back on. Jiang Xun didn't poke any holes in Gu Wei's claims and simply said, "Alright, then. Since we have the same task, I'm heading to the main hall now. Weiwei, come with me."

Gu Wei thought silently for a moment.

"O… kay."

He couldn't reveal the truth about his own mission. He had to play along with Jiang Xun for now.

The two of them finally put their earpieces back in, and Director Zhang took that opportunity to announce their new tasks—

"Each guest has a token which represents their role in this game. Find your enemies' tokens and throw them into the pool inside the main hall. If your token is stolen and thrown in, that's a defeat for you. Whether your mission is to save the consort or eliminate her, your task is to hand her your token.

"Furthermore, one contestant has taken on the role of a 'sweeper' whose job is to eliminate everyone else. If your token falls into the sweeper's hands, it will also be considered a defeat for you."

Director Zhang's words made Gu Wei think of the string of bells he carried and the sachet Shi Xinyan had found. Jiang Xun must have been carrying something similar as well. Gu Wei was pretty sure that Jiang Xun was playing the part of the antagonist, their enemy, and not the part of the 'sweeper'. That meant all he needed to do was take Jiang Xun's token and throw it into the pool at the main hall, and the game would be half-won.