Chapter 62: Live Up to the Name

"What did you just say?" Shi Xinyan perked up, suddenly alert. "Jiang Xun?"

He felt like he might have just gotten a little too much information about his bandmate's personal life. What on earth had Gu Wei and Jiang Xun gotten up to lately?

Gu Wei suddenly sobered up as well, becoming aware of their surroundings.

He felt bad. He just hadn't been able to hold it in. But it was fine. There was no one nearby, and probably—almost definitely—no one had heard.

So Jiang Xun absolutely wouldn't find out.

"Director, cut that out later, okay?" Gu Wei said, turning back to look directly into the camera. "I'm sorry, I just… got a little carried away. This really has nothing to do with Jiang Xun at all."

Director Zhang, in the surveillance room, was astounded.

What kind of miracle band was T.ATW? Just two of their members had given him so much good material in such a short amount of time.

And Gu Wei was an absolute treasure. How could anyone say he didn't have any on-screen charisma? Those people were idiots. Director Zhang was certain of it now. The director of Wandering With You was an unmitigated idiot.

As for the relationship between Gu Wei and Jiang Xun… Director Zhang was going to have to ask his good friend Song Jingxi about that soon. Just what was going on with those two? If they claimed to be friends, Director Zhang wouldn't believe a word of it. His original plan to scatter some ship bait around these two had already been rendered moot. They hadn't even encountered each other yet, and their shippability was already off the charts.

"It looks like there really isn't anyone around," Gu Wei said with a hint of resignation. "Let's start looking for some clues by ourselves."

Shi Xinyan gave Gu Wei a onceover, as though finally noticing the way he was dressed. Admiration, and a little envy, flooded into his eyes. "Director Zhang is really too much. Why do you get to be a pretty, elegant young master while I get stuck with the role of a court eunuch? I even had to be chased around by ghosts for ages."

"Maybe the others are even worse off," Gu Wei said. "Look, I got stuck with an alpaca."

But Shi Xinyan was inconsolable. He threw back his head and shouted into the night, "Director Zhang! I know you're out there! Don't act like you can't hear—"

The alpaca was starting to feel aggrieved again. It turned to Shi Xinyan and lobbed another glob of spit at him.

Gu Wei stared.

He was just about to offer a few words of sympathy when Shi Xinyan whirled to face the alpaca and exclaimed, "So, Director Zhang, you've been here all along!"

Ten minutes later, Gu Wei and Shi Xinyan were still herding the alpaca along. One of them led the way while the other took up the rear.

"Director Zhang," Gu Wei urged, "let's keep moving."

"Director Zhang," Shi Xinyan coaxed, "have you forgotten how to use your legs? Keep up!"

The crew members inside the surveillance room had all broken out in raucous laughter. Director Zhang sighed and shook his head. "Just what kind of boy band is T.ATW?"

Gradually, wiping tears of mirth from their eyes, the crew calmed down enough to nod their agreement. They would have loved to see what the rest of the group was like.

"Director," said Crew Member 1, still chuckling. "Shi Xinyan is mocking you, and Gu Wei's picked it up too."

"I've seen their TV performances before," said Crew Member 2. "They're all so cool and haughty on stage, but they're nothing like that right now. They're really cutting loose and going wild on our show."