Chapter 40: Trend Magnet

"Good, that's it, that's pretty good." Jiang Xun was still standing behind Gu Wei, watching Gu Wei operate the character attached to his own account. "Try moving your camera to change directions, and you can get out of this area."

Gu Wei was gradually getting used to the basic controls of the game. He moved his character towards the exit of the building he had spawned in. The ruins which made up the map sprawled out in front of him, and as soon as he stepped outside, he saw a pinkish figure running towards him from the distance.

"Huh, that's…" Jiang Xun glanced at the list of Gu Wei's randomly matched teammates. A pensive look came over his face.

Gu Wei could only concentrate on what Jiang Xun had taught him about how to walk around. With his right hand on the mouse, he adjusted the camera to look around and suddenly saw a red dot flash across his screen. He wanted to have another look at what that red dot was, but in the process of adjusting his perspective again, he accidentally hit some random key on the keyboard.

A gunshot sounded out, and the burly, pink figure from before disappeared.

"Ge! Did someone hit me?!" Gu Wei asked, alarmed and frightened by the sound of a gunshot he'd heard through the headset. "Help me look around."

"…don't worry, angel," Jiang Xun said. "It's you who hit someone."

And that someone just happened to be someone they knew.

Team TMW's Kumachan, on his own training account, had beelined across the map to find his captain. From across the street, he could already see the handsome outfit usually worn by TMW-Xun's character.

"Looks like I found our captain," Kumachan said. "Your God Xun is looking especially dashing in that black trench coat. He got it especially for this practice account, and he spent a lot to get it.

"Want me to take a closer look? Alright, of course. Let's go. Isn't that what our captain is here for? Jiang Xun isn't the face of TMW for nothing. But what's he doing? Why's he moving so awkwardly? Is this some new strategy?

"It looks like he doesn't have voice chat on, but that's not a problem. We're members of the same team, we're closer than family. Just sit back and watch, I'll go say hi to our God Xun. Captain! Cap…"

The supposed 'Captain Xun' shakily moved to stop in front of Kumachan, lifted his gun, and waved it around a bit.

"Hoh, he's showing off his limited edition skin," Kumachan narrated. "Next, we'll…"

Next, with all the spectators of the livestream watching, 'Captain Xun' pointed his gun at Kumachan's face and pulled the trigger, ruthlessly shooting him at point-blank range. The pink-hoodie wearing character screamed in agony as Kumachan's screen dissolved into the 'Defeat' screen.

Kumachan was speechless.

[Santa Claus Please Bring Me Takeout]: Oho? Kumachan, your captain doesn't want you.

[Big Roasted Pear]: You guys are a lovely family.

[TMWEpic]: God Xun is playing like he isn't awake yet.

[Pineapple Bun]: Hahahahaha, God Xun offed his teammate.

Some people had been recording while Kumachan streamed. Before Kumachan even recovered from his stupefied state, someone had uploaded the clip of that incident to TMW's superchat group on Weibo.

Soon enough—

@Tabloid: Shocking! Yesterday's allies are today's foes! Old teammates pull guns on each other. Is this a loss of virtue and morality? Or is there another explanation? This is Jiang Xun's account, isn't it? We remember seeing him use it in a previous livestream!