Chapter 48: Like That?

Downstairs, in one of the hotel rooms, the assistant Mu Yue was on a call with T.ATW's manager Zhao Ya.

"Don't take pity on him. When you need to confiscate his phone, confiscate it," Manager Zhao said. "He can get himself trending again with just one wrong 'like'."

"I understand, Zhao-jie." Mu Yue gave it some thought, and in the end decided not to report what she had seen on Gu Wei's phone earlier that day. "Weiwei worked really hard today, he's very serious about this role."

"I know he's a hard worker. He's usually the one I have to worry about the least, but sometimes it's necessary to help him stay out of the spotlight," Manager Zhao said. "He just told me he isn't in a relationship. Did he really go over to Jiang Xun's place for work?"

"That's… probably right," Mu Yue answered haltingly. "They just… became normal friends after recording that variety show together. I could tell Weiwei had a really good time while filming that show."

"That's true," Manager Zhao said. "Before, when he was filming 'Wandering With You', I never got the sense that he was enjoying it. But, this time, he was great. He pulled in a lot of new fans with this, and he didn't give his anti-fans any new fodder to bash him with. Jiang Xun really did bring out the best in him."

"Right," Mu Yue affirmed. "So you don't need to worry too much, Zhao-jie."

But Mu Yue didn't even fully believe her own words. Still, she bit her tongue and kept Gu Wei's secret. The secret of the 'Husband' on WeChat.

"It's not that we won't allow him to date, it's just that it can't be too sudden. He's still quite controversial. If he does get into a relationship, the agency needs time to put together a PR plan," Manager Zhao said, sighing. "Alright, let's just observe for now. It's good that those two will be apart for a while with Gu Wei filming this drama.

"I have to go now, I need to make another call. I'll contact Gu Wei again later to go over some new work stuff with him."

Back in Gu Wei's hotel room, the video call connected and Jiang Xun appeared on his cell phone screen.

"Jiang Xun?" he greeted. "Why…"

Why didn't you send a message?

Why are you calling me?

Gu Wei moved his phone this way and that, adjusting the camera to find a more suitable angle.

"Stop moving around, I just wanted to see you," Jiang Xun said. "I was going to write you a message earlier, but something came up."

Jiang Xun looked like he had just gotten out of the shower. The top of his pajamas was draped over his shoulders, and his skin was still dotted with little beads of water that had yet to be wiped away.

"You just saw me this morning," Gu Wei argued. But even as he said that, he could feel the disappointment and loneliness from earlier that day start to fade.

"The cast photos for your new drama look good," Jiang Xun said, feeling compelled to praise Gu Wei a little as soon as he laid eyes on him.

Gu Wei perked up instantly. "Really? I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pull off this hair color."

"If I could run my fingers through your hair right now, that would be even better," Jiang Xun added. He could still feel the phantom sensation of Gu Wei's soft locks slipping between his fingers from when he'd helped the kid dry his hair.

Gu Wei sulked quietly for a moment.

Dream on, he thought. Jiang Xun wouldn't get a chance to pat his head again for at least two weeks or so.