Chapter 48: Like That?

Start from the beginning

"It's a shame," Jiang Xun continued, almost as though reading Gu Wei's mind. "I won't get to see you for two weeks or so. Once my next tournament is over, I'll come visit you on set."

"So… you have to go train now?" Gu Wei's mind drifted back to thoughts of Jiang Xun practicing so hard every day and every night. "Don't stay up too late, though."

It seemed the two of them would both be quite busy for a while. Gu Wei felt a faint sense of disappointment creep back over him.

"I don't need to go yet," Jiang Xun said. "We're taking a break, so I thought I'd come bother Little Gu for a while."

Jiang Xun started to dry his own hair with a towel. His cell phone had most likely been propped up on the table. "Weiwei, that reminds me. Why didn't you respond to the messages I sent earlier today?"

As soon as Jiang Xun brought up those messages, Gu Wei's cheeks started to heat up a little.

The content of those three messages drifted back into the forefront of his mind.

Those messages were the sort that made people blush as soon as they laid eyes on them… and Jiang Xun had the gall to ask him why he didn't respond?

"Did you not want to answer me?" Jiang Xun persisted. "Or did you not want to answer 'Husband'?"

Gu Wei deftly ignored that question and explained, "Because I made a little mistake, my manager had my assistant confiscate my phone."

Jiang Xun suddenly remembered the 'incident' from earlier, which Jiang Ying had told him about. "That wasn't really a mistake, was it?" Jiang Xun teased. "The 'little sweetheart' is also you, right?"

Gu Wei was silent.

Jiang Xun wasn't wrong, but the netizens didn't know that. And the netizens couldn't be allowed to find out, or else Gu Wei's manager was going to implode.

Gu Wei had told her that he and Jiang Xun weren't together. That was probably the last tenuous thread that was holding her sanity together.

Jiang Xun didn't force Gu Wei to give him an answer to that. Instead, he asked, "You missed my call earlier, too. Were you busy?"

"I was…" Gu Wei thought back to being kicked out of his group for the second time in one day and still felt a little distraught about it. "Playing a game."

"The one from last time?" Jiang Xun had helped him with it once, back at the hotel they'd stayed at after filming their variety show together.

Gu Wei nodded. "Yeah, they had three people and needed one more to form a team. So they got me to join in, and then… you called, the notification popped up, I got distracted, and… exploded them to death."

And then he'd gotten kicked out of the group chat. Again.

Jiang Xun saw the sullen look on Gu Wei's face and instantly pieced together what had happened.

"Open up the game," Jiang Xun said. "I'll make it up to you."

"Huh?" Gu Wei didn't understand.

"Angel, I'll carry you."

Gu Wei hesitated. "But I'm really bad."

He was so bad that his own bandmates, who had declared friendship to be the 'spirit' of their group, had kicked him out.

"Don't worry," Jiang Xun said, smiling. "Go log in, we can chat through the game."

And so, Gu Wei ended the video call and opened up the game again. He accepted the invitation Jiang Xun sent him and joined his waiting room. Jiang Xun's username was Pika Pika of all things; Gu Wei couldn't help but laugh.