13

ayo im not dead #wap

Kokichi cupped his face in his hands, unbelievably bored. The sun was setting behind him, the castle casting a massive shadow over the landscape far below that stretched over everything in its wake. The land spread out as far as the eye could see, nothing but thick trees visible.

He had no idea why his mother had requested he come see her. He had arrived to the balcony what felt like a million miles up off the ground, and she had been calmly sitting on one of the benches and gazing at the view with a sort of somber expression, as if something was stirring in her mind. 

She hadn't turned to look at him, she had simply patted the space next to her and instructed him to sit.

"As pretty as the view is, mom, do you have something you want to talk about with me or are we just gonna sit here until I die from boredom?" He griped, finally breaking the silence.

She didn't find his comment amusing, remaning stone-faced and keeping her gaze fixed far away. "Yes, there's something I would like to discuss with you. I just... am not sure where to start." 

Jeez. That's a first. 

"...Alright. I'll be as patient as you need! That's what any good son would do for his loving mother!" He beamed, with a wide grin on his face. He knew how much trouble he'd get in if he disrespected her any more, so he bit back the annoyed comment mounting in his throat.

"Your fifteenth birthday just recently arrived, and as such, you are only a few years away from claiming the throne." She began. "But it isn't quite as straightforward as it seems to be."

He let out a quiet and frustrated sigh, not audible enough for her to hear. Oh boy. And here I was thinking my dear mother wanted to spend some time with me doing something normal for once. Even so, he found himself wondering what exactly she meant. "How so?"

"We can't just let anyone step forward to rule, Kokichi. Being born into the Oma family is simply the first step. It makes you... eligible, you could say." She explained, still being quite vague. "Through several years of extensive training, which you have... made your way through for the most part, they are deemed either worthy or not. And then, they must take on a final challenge the day before they turn sixteen."

Though this topic was a sore one with him, his interest was piqued. "Hm. Elaborate."

"I cannot go into specifics. That would give you an unfair advantage, and you must prove yourself when the day comes. In fact, I'm not supposed to even be telling you this." She sighed, finally turning to meet his gaze. Her steely grey eyes were fixed on him, not a single visible emotion behind them, her constant glare analyzing and intimidating. They weren't the eyes of someone who loved him, at least not in the traditional sense. 

"Though your father may have a different view on the matter, I have some semblance of faith in you. If I give you this time to prepare, I do believe you'll make it. A year is time enough for you to become a decent leader." She declared.

Gee, thanks. Though it was expressed in her usual blunt, resolute manner, it was one of the nicest things he had heard her say to him. "Oh. Thank you so much! Don't worry! I won't let you down! I'll be the king you always wanted!"

He knew he was lying, to himself and to her. But if he could fake it for long enough, things just might turn out in his favor. They had so far in his life, mostly.

She blinked a few times, the silence piercing as he awaited her response. She didn't so much as smile. "I hope you will. It's not really your choice."

He didn't know what to say to that. She drew in a long breath and stood up. "Thank you for having this discussion with me. There are other matters I must attend to." And that was how she said goodbye, turning and striding back into the building and leaving her son alone on the balcony.

"Hmph." He crossed his arms across his chest and dropped the cheerful indifference, his face forming into an angry scowl. "How boring."

He didn't know why she even bothered. Without details, a piece of information like that was utterly useless to him. All it did was make him overthink, and he hated doing that.

He rose to his feet and took a few steps forward, placing his hands on the marble railing. It was a long, long drop to the ground below, the world looking so small from where he stood. As a small child, he had loved to climb and play on it. 

Perhaps, being that young, he didn't understand that falling meant a sure death. Or at least a long and annoying healing process. He had had limbs regrown before, and that was enough to demonstrate how unpleasant it was to have such brutal injuires magically treated.

I wonder what Shuichi's doing. His mind wandered to the blue-haired boy somewhere on the far-away ground. He was starting to get bored, for one thing, and though he denied it, inexplicably lonely.

The view was nice from so far up, but he had seen it a million times. Dying, rosy light scattered across a million surfaces as the sun crept down the sky, a few stars just beginning to show their twinkling faces.

He'd probably like this. I don't know if he's ever been up here, or even this high up in his life. Seems like the kind of stupid, cheesy thing he would admire.

I think I'll take him up here one day soon.

He turned around and wandered back inside, wondering what he should fill his time with. As much as he hated his classes and such, having empty free time was just as boring. He knew hunting down Shuichi would be difficult, and even then, they only ever saw each other during the day long enough for Kokichi to slip him a piece of paper with scribbled instructions about where to meet and when.

Celestia was who knows where, and he wasn't so desperate for something to do that he'd waste his time searching just to spend time with his stupid twin sister.

He dashed down a few flights of stairs and hallways and eventually found his way to his room. He tossed the door open and locked it behind him, collapsing on his overly showy and complicated bed as the last beams of sunlight the day had to offer poured in through his window. His room was familiar, at least. A sight that somewhat calmed his racing thoughts, but at they same time got them going much too fast again.

Every birthday was a little closer to the day he'd claim a title he didn't know if he could handle. All the gifts, all the festivites, all the empty wishes- it was just reminding him that the only reason anyone cared was his future. All that power sounded great, of course, and the ability to influence anyone and everyone he wanted was tempting.

But it was clear no one trusted him enough to do it right. That, and the prospect of some dangerous challenge he had to face just to sit around on a throne and yell at people all day like his father did, was enough to make anyone turn away from the task. He never wanted to be like him, but how was he going to prevent it? 

No matter what descisions he made on the throne to prevent just that, people would end up getting hurt. He didn't know if he could handle this much power so suddenly. Bit by bit was one thing, but one day he'd just... be there, and there was nothing he could do about it.

He just wished he could stay a kid forever. Never have to do anything and just run around in the woods with Shuichi, his only- and though he'd rather jump off the balcony than admit it- best friend.

Shuichi, Shuichi...

What a stupid, sensitive crybaby. I can't believe out of everyone, he ended up being my friend. How desperate have I gotten? I'm a prince, for god's sakes! I deserve someone waaayyy cooler than someone as depressing as him.

But even as he wallowed in his own bitter thoughts, he knew he was doing what he did so well to cope with how frustrated and childish he was. Everything was just so overwhelming, so all he could do was hurt others and take part in the one thing he knew he did best. Lying- not only to those around him, but now, many times before and many times to come, himself.

manz in hardcore denial because i mean, this is a shitty s a i o u m a fanfiction on fucking wattpad what do you expect