5

Kokichi sighed, looking around the immense ballroom packed with figures elegantly dancing and walking about, the collective of voices still not loud enough to drown out the music. He was bored. Fancy parties like this weren't his scene whatsoever, and to top it all off, his feet hurt like hell. 

He was trained in ballroom dancing, yes, but he hated it with all of his heart. It was so slow and formal, and he much preffered lively and fast-paced dances to exciting music. 

But of course, it was strictly forbidden for him to do dances like those in public, as it would put out a bad image of himself. 

Right then, he was standing next to a table piled with elaborate dishes of food and drink, trying to find something to do. He didn't even know why his parents forced him to attend their stupid boring party. Everyone there except Celeste was most likely an adult or someone he didn't know, and the only other person he was even remotely interested in carrying a conversation with, he couldn't find.

Suddenly, he spotted the door at the other end of the room, and got an idea. She'll never know, right? This room's too big for her to notice that I've left, and I don't even know where she is.

He glanced around, making sure no one's eyes were on him before ducking into the crowd, narrowly avoiding the various people. He was fast, small, and agile, and when he intended, he could become virtually invisible. None of them seemed to notice his movement, and whenever someone did, he was long gone by then. 

"Kokichi?" Suddenly, a voice right next to him called his name. He flinched, stopping in his tracks and turning towards the source. From the sound of it, he could tell who it was.

"Peko!" He produced a grin, seeing his fencing trainer standing there with a small crystal wine glass filled with some sort of drink in a fancy black dress covered in ribbons and lacy sleeves, her grey hair held twisted in its usual twin braids.

She was 16 years old, not much older than Kokichi, but one of the most revered fighters in all the land. She was the closest thing to a friend he had, although their relationship was quite proffesional in nature due to her being his instructor. It was against the rules for them to really be friends, but nevertheless, she still treated him as such. He was grateful for this. At least he wasn't completely alone.

"I thought it was you. How are you tonight?" She asked, giving him a slight smile. 

"I'm great!" He lied effortlessly. "I really like parties like this. I'm having sooo much fun!" 

"I'm glad to hear it. Are you looking for something?" She asked. He nodded his head, quickly coming up with another lie.

"I'm trying to find my sister. I think there was some guy who wanted to dance with her." He responded. "I haven't had any luck so far."

"Well, if you'd like, I could find her for you." She offered. "You just focus on finding a dance partner of your own and enjoying yourself."

He nodded. "That'd be a big help. Thanks a ton, Peko!" Before she could utter a response he ducked back into the crowd. She watched him leave before she turned away herself, going off to find Celeste under the influence of his lie.

Kokichi reached the door and opened it just a crack, quickly slipping out into the hallway of the castle, leaving behind the bustle of the life-filled ballroom. The hall was dark and empty, every single resident besides the workers currently attending the party. 

He wasted no time, dashing down the hall and quickly traversing the flight of stairs downwards. He ran through the front door and outside into the cool night air, his feet hitting soft grass.