6

"Come on!"

"Hey, I can't walk that fast...!"

Shuichi was currently in the process of being pulled by his hand into the dark forest by his newfound companion, who had done so before he could protest with the proclamation that he had something to show him. More specifically, several somethings. 

Shuichi was just trying to keep himself from panicking because they were making physical contact and talking and actually being close to each other, and he was taking him into a place he was never allowed into. It was a lot to take in, maybe even too much, and he didn't even know how to process. 

It wasn't that he wanted him to let go of his hand. He knew that if he did he'd most likely find a way to get lost in there, and holding his hand was strangely a nice feeling, but that logical, cold voice in his head telling him he wasn't allowed to be doing this was still there, strictly insisting that something bad was going to happen if this continued.

"Hey, Shuichi!" He was snapped out of his thoughts and suddenly became aware that they were no longer moving, and that Kokichi was standing in front of him, snapping his fingers in front of his face.

"Yes, si- um, Kokichi?" He responded.

"Are you alright?" He cocked his head to the side slightly. "You look scared, and you're sweating all over. I can feel it on your hand."

"N-no, I'm alright." He didn't want Kokichi to feel like he had done something wrong. This was his fault, after all. He should never have let this happen, it was all gonna come crashing down, this was a bad, bad idea-

"You really expect me to believe that? I know how to spot lies. I've told my fair share. And you're an open book anyways. But whatever, I'll just let go."

Kokichi let go of his hand, a motion that helped calm his nerves but was still disappointing. He already missed it. "Can we just... go a bit slower, maybe? I'm scared I'm going to get lost, and this is just a bunch of new things. I've never been in here before." He responded, feeling like a sensitive, vulnerable idiot.

"Uh-huh. Is that all? And trust me, we won't get lost. I'm basically an expert at these woods. I know them like the back of my own hand!" He exclaimed. More of a half-lie. There were several parts of the woods that he knew next to nothing about, and had only scratched the surface. But he didn't want him to be too uncomfortable or scared. 

 Moonbriar was huge and expansive, the largest and oldest forest in all the land, full of mysterious creatures not even yet documented. They had tried to create a map, but their efforts had been futile. It was simply a place that didn't want everything about it to be known. It was terrifying what could lurk in the shadows, but beautiful nonetheless, full of magic and adventure one could only dream of. He simply relied on his instincts and went wherever he decided he wanted to go, usually sticking to the places he knew but sometimes exploring more. That tactic had never failed him so far. 

"Yeah, I think that'd help. I'm also just kind of worried I'll get caught." He fidgeted with his hands, lacing and unlacing his fingers and messing with his sleeves, an anxious habit he had had all of his life.

"Oh, don't worry. We'll be back well before morning. If you get tired, let me know. I can carry you back if you don't feel like walking." There was most likely no way he had the upper-body strength for that, but whether or not something was true had never stopped Kokichi.

"Er, okay." He responded simply, knowing if he said anything else he would mess up.

"Now, come on. I'm taking you to the meadow first. Lake's too dangerous, the merfolk get too bitey at night. During the day it's manageable, but unless we want to get dragged to our watery deaths, we should stay away." He muttered, mostly to himself as they walked, stepping over shrubbery and various forest objects littering the ground.