10

It was yet another day.

Shuichi and Kokichi were seated on a moss-coated log long since fallen on the bank of a stream running through the forest. They watched as the shining fish darted between rocks, following the flow of the crystally water. Flecks of fool's gold glinted from the muddy riverbed, catching the sunlight cast down from above.

Their shoes were off as well as their socks, their pants rolled up to their knees. They had stepped into the river for a bit to catch fish and pick out pieces of the decievingly shiny material that lay in flakes among the rocks. At least, Kokichi had. 

The second Shuichi gingerly dipped his foot in- the non-burned one, although the wound was coming along nicely and it was hardly a minor inconvenience anymore, having healed remarkably fast- he yelped and jumped backwards. It was freezing cold, leaving a sensation upon his skin that both burned and numbed.

Kokichi laughed, unaffected by the tempurature. Gradually, Shuichi had come around, although he didn't stay in the stream for too long. Kokichi had stayed in long after his feet and ankles went numb and the cold no longer bothered him, and had managed to scoop up a few minnows in his cupped hands before they fell through the cracks of his fingers and swam away, panicked.

Shuichi took a bite of a fresh-baked roll, one of the many things Kokichi had brought for him. On the first time, that day in the clearing, he had eaten so much his stomach ached like all hell and he had no choice but to stop. He got used to the food after a bit, and became more careful about consuming small amounts at a decent pace. Kokichi couldn't be bothered and shoveled food in his mouth by the handful, often getting it all over his face. 

"We should get going soon, right?" He suggested, after swallowing the last bite of the bread, which was still warm. "It'll probably be getting dark after a while."

Kokichi rolled his eyes, swiveling his head around to look at Shuichi. "You worry too much. Live a little! We still have time."

He wasn't so sure about that statement. The shadows were starting to become more prominent, and then sun was slowly crawling down the sky. He worried mostly about them getting lost, as at this point he had been in the forest at night a few times and was mostly able to push any unpleasant thoughts about magical creature attacks to the back of his mind. 

But that didn't change the fact that they were in the middle of the woods somewhere he certainly didn't recognize, and the coming darkness with no directions or source of light wouldn't help.

Even so, he didn't want to argue with him. "If you're sure."

"I know what I'm doing, obviously! I won't make you stay out here for too long. It's nice, don'tcha think?" 

He nodded. "Yeah, it is."

He continued to stare off into the trees without offering up any words. He smiled slightly, kicking his legs and swaying back and forth just a little as he gazed off into the trees. 

Shuichi didn't know what more to say, and didn't want to break his serenity, so he decided to just bask in the quiet and calmness for a while longer before they had to leave. It was rare that Kokichi was so peaceful and he definitely wasn't opposed to that side of him. It wasn't bad at all, just sitting there in silence with nothing but each other's presence and then the wilderness around them. I just need to stop being so anxious, don't I?

Yeah. Yeah, I do.

"Hello."

Shuichi screamed at the top of his lungs and managed to both jump and fall at the same time off off the log, nearly avoiding falling into the river. He scrambled around towards the source of the voice with a look of fear in his eyes like a cornered animal. Kokichi swiftly turned and rose to his feet, alarmed. He'd recognize that voice from anywhere, and his suspicions were unfortunately confirmed when he saw who stood there.