"Thank you," Gonzalez said, making Victoria sound incredibly grateful. She took the money and didn't try to move out of the awkward embrace she was in, although it made her uncomfortable.

"Liv has a friend in hospital, hurt in the shooting last night. He's critical, so I told her to stay with him. Means I need you for a job tonight."

"Anything you need," Gonzalez promised quickly.

"Good girl," Riot said into her ear, then turned and went back inside the bar.

Here we go, Gonzalez thought. It sounded very much like she might be being taken on some business to do with the MC's cocaine running. If so, that would be the start of her time undercover paying off.

"It's that one," Purrazzo said, pointing at a house through the windshield.

Halstead pulled up outside of the home in question, noting that it was indeed the correct number. This was, or had been, Clementine's house. They were in a neighbourhood where most of the people were poor, and the houses had seen better days. The one they were visiting could have used a fresh coat of paint on its woodwork, but the small front garden was well maintained. He imagined Clementine's mom putting work into it.

"There's a key under an old garbage can in the garden," he said as they got out of the car.

When Halstead had arrived at Sylvie Brett's place to pick up Purrazzo he had given her a quick rundown of the previous nights events, which had led to he and Erin taking in Clementine. Purrazzo had said what a wonderful thing it was that they were doing, and had offered any help that she might be able to offer. Taking her up on the offer immediately, Halstead had brought her with him on the mission to retrieve some of Clem's clothes and belongings. Purrazzo had brought some plastic bags to put things in, something that Halstead hadn't thought of. Unsurprisingly, he wasn't operating at maximum efficiency.

"I'm going to guess that gate is looked," Purrazzo said.

A pathway ran down the side of the house and through a tall wooden gate to the rear garden. If the gate was locked, it was going to need climbing over. Sure enough, when she tried to open it, it proved to be locked.

"Over we go," Halstead said. "Need a hand?"

Purrazzo grinned at him. "No. Marine, remember?"

"No, I'd forgotten. You never mention it."

She rolled her eyes at him, then threw the plastic bag containing other plastic bags over the gate. With that done, she jumped up, grabbed the top of the gate and pulled herself up, demonstrating more upper body strength than her physique might have suggested. Once she was up, she got one leg down on the other side, finding one of the gate's supporting bars to put her foot on.

"Want a hand?" she asked him cheekily.

"No, I'm good."

"Okay, well don't tear your nuts off on the top of it," Purrazzo said before dropping down to the ground on the other side.

"I'll keep that in mind." Halstead found the silly banter particularly enjoyable after all the stress of the past twenty-four hours. He wondered if that was why his partner was doing it. Probably, he decided, appreciating her for it.

Using the same technique as his partner, Halstead got himself up and over the gate, and dropped down to the other side. "Maybe I could be a Marine too?"

"Nah, you're more cut out for police work."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

The question never got an answer because they walked into the garden and spotted the old garbage can. Purrazzo went over to it, lifted one side of it up, and sure enough there was a key underneath. She picked it up and gave it to Halstead.