THIRTEEN. The Dresses Answered

chapter thirteen.

the dresses answered 🦋✨📘🪄

🦋✨📘🪄

IT WAS AT THE END OF A CHARMS LESSON WHEN FLITWICK TOLD THEM ABOUT THE YULE BALL. They had finished going over that day's task as Flitwick stood before them all explaining the Yule Ball. And now Electra definitely knew what that dress she'd had to make room in her trunk for at the end of August. There was an excited buzz throughout the room, mainly Marietta, and as they left it, also mainly Marietta.

Once again Electra was stuck with the sound of Marietta's talk of boys as she made her way to their dorm. As they stepped into the room Marietta asked Aileen the question Electra knew she was going to ask, and she knew the answer but hoped she was wrong, even though she definitely wasn't.

"So Aileen, who do you want to ask you?" Marietta said in the interested tone that was used exclusively when talking about romance, "Perhaps a certain Hufflepuff Champion,"

"Mari, you know the answer to that," Aileen responds with a sigh.

"You're no fun," Marietta rolls her eyes, "Do you think he will ask you?"

"I don't know," Aileen shrugged, humble as ever. Electra couldn't help but notice how nice her hair looked today. Again.

"He will," Mandy and Sue said at the same time from where they had sat on Sue's bed. Sue sat cross-legged and Mandy lying sideways with her feet on the floor.

"You don't know that," Aileen attempted to say.

"We do," Sue said.

"They're right," Marietta agreed, "Is anyone gonna ask me the question?"

"You don't often need prompting," Mandy commented from where she was staring at Sue's canopy.

"You're right, I don't," Marietta said, getting comfortable as she sat on the end of her bed beginning to reel off her options.

Electra doesn't want to look over for fear she'll catch herself staring at Aileen again. Instead, she looks over at the pictures on her bedside table, a framed photo of Iris, her dad and Avery, in which Avery and Iris are laughing at her dad. Next to that is a picture of Electra and her mom when Clara was reading her Winnie the Pooh when Electra was three. Leaning against those was a picture of Clara around the time she met Andrew. In it, she's laughing and arranging a bouquet in a blue jumper splattered with stars which Electra now owned. As she looked at the picture of her laughing back and forth, Electra once again wished she could talk to Clara about how she was feeling. And ask her advice, not just on this.

Before Electra could get too caught up in the thought of missing Clara and risk getting emotional, Marietta said her name.

"What?" Electra asked, having not heard the question.