"Possibly," Wu murmured. "But he seemed to be breathing just fine."

As Jay scratched his head, Cole joined the two. "Kai's fallen into a deep sleep," he reported. "He won't wake up for a while."

Jay looked at him nervously. "But he will wake up, right?"

Cole met his gaze with the same anxiety. "He's in a lot of pain," the black ninja went on. "He has to fight the sudden crash at his health before regaining his senses."

Wu was surprised at Cole's knowledge. As the black ninja walked past them, the sensei looked around the room, finding that Zane and Pixal hadn't returned yet. Confused, Wu glanced in the direction Cole had left.

However Cole got his information, it wasn't from any doctor.

* * *

A few days later, Cole paced the floor in his bedroom. His thoughts spun as he remembered what Kai had told him before he passed out. Help Lloyd? he thought. What does Lloyd need help with? And what am I supposed to do?

Cole ran his fingers through his hair. Why would I help Lloyd? After all he's done to us? He doesn't deserve my help!

It was hard for him to sympathize with the green ninja. How could I forgive Lloyd for all the pain he caused?

Cole knew Kai still refused to give up on Lloyd. This confused him. He knew how close the red and green ninja were bonded, but Lloyd had hurt Kai the worst out of all of them. How does Kai still have the heart to care?

Cole slumped onto his bed, resting his chin on his hand. Kai always cared for everyone. He acted like everyone's big brother. He was, in fact, the oldest out of all six of them. He looked after me, Cole thought. Even when I didn't look after him. He promised me he'd protect me, just as he promised Lloyd all those years ago.

Cole drew his hand over his face. And now he's suffering in the hospital room. Cole sighed in exasperation. It's so unfair! he thought. Kai shouldn't have to suffer after everything he did for us.

Cole once again recalled Kai's last wish and gave another sigh. The least I can do for him is help Lloyd. Like he wanted me to.

But how? Cole wondered. How am I going to help Lloyd with whatever he's going through when I don't even know where he is?

As he pondered this, a tingling feeling swept through him. He lifted his head as the thought struck him. Through our connection, duh! he scolded himself. Dummy!

Cole readied himself to reach out to the green ninja. If we can be connected accidentally, why can't we be connected manually?

Shutting his eyes, Cole opened up his mind and reached out his feelings. He felt himself dive into an alternative universe, and he furrowed his eyebrows as he searched for Lloyd's spirit. He felt a tug at his chest, and he felt himself being whirled around. As the winds died down, Cole took a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

He opened his eyes again, gasping as he found himself out in the forest. Then he smirked. It worked!

He got to his feet and walked through the trees, searching for Lloyd. Then he heard footsteps. He followed the sound until he came to a small clearing and looked ahead to see Lloyd appearing from the other side.

The green ninja halted. "Kai?" he called.

Cole raised an eyebrow and stepped out of the cover of the trees.

Lloyd's face fell when he spotted him. "You're not Kai," he murmured.

"Obviously," Cole grunted. He stared at the green ninja as he looked at his feet. "What? Not happy to see me?"

Lloyd looked up again. Cole thought he saw a flash of hurt in the green ninja's eyes, but if he did it was gone in a heartbeat. "I'd rather talk to someone who cares about me," Lloyd growled.

Cole stared at him. "What, and I don't?"

"Give me a break," Lloyd scoffed. "You don't love the person who wants to kill you, do you?"

Cole tensed as the green ninja stalked toward him. He eyed Lloyd's muscular figure suspiciously, aware of his own weak frame. He was still recovering from the first time Lloyd had attacked him—after the green ninja stole his scythe.

"You're scared of me," Lloyd stated.

Cole furrowed his eyebrows. "Am not!" he protested, although he didn't like how close the green ninja was getting.

Lloyd smirked, halting about an inch from Cole's face. "Don't tell me you're not even a little anxious?" he said smoothly. "You don't think I'll try to... attack you?"

Terror shot through Cole's veins as Lloyd lunged at him and he skittered backward, gasping in surprise. Heart pounding, he panted as he watched Lloyd lock his gaze on him.

"Told you," Lloyd muttered. Then he whipped around and raced back into the trees.

"No, wait!" Cole called, heaving himself back to his feet. "Lloyd!"

But the green ninja didn't reappear.

Cole drew his hand over his face. Great, Cole! he scolded himself. You messed everything up! How are you supposed to help Lloyd now?

As he stood there, frustrated, a thought hit him. Lloyd was disappointed to see me instead of Kai because he wanted to talk to someone who cares about him. Cole felt his exhilaration rise. Then that must mean Lloyd knows Kai still cares about him!

Cole let out a relieved laugh. If Lloyd knows Kai still loves him, how long will it take him to realize the rest of us do, too? Now he understood why Kai refused to give up on the green ninja. Lloyd's love still stands, it's just buried beneath the surface.

Cole's breath quickened in excitement. And it's up to us to unbury it again.