Chapter 16 - His Palace

After several hours of awkwardness, Jill finally reunited with Alastair and the other envoys. Jill, Ares and their horse entered the palace of the war god which was not what Jill had imagined before.

The messengers greeted Ares in a half-bowed gesture. Their heads bowed in regret. Ares helped the princess get off her horse then saw them.

"We have been negligent, lord Ares," Lasonas' confident voice seemed to tremble.

"We're ready to be punished," Attica added, looking so embarrassed and didn't even want to look at the princess.

"I should have sentenced you all to death, wasn't my message clear? Protect the princess of Sparta with your life. But my mood was good today so let the princess of Sparta punish you," Ares said coldly.

The princess was shocked when she heard that. At that time she was still observing the atmosphere of Ares palace which was shady and well lit. After wandering for a long time in the dark forest, her eyes felt comforted.

"What? Me?" Jill confirmed.

"Yes, princess. How are you going to punish them? They've failed to protect you." Ares confirmed.

"No need! I mean-it was an accident and I'm fine. I don't want to punish them," Jill shook her head quickly. She felt sorry for the envoy, they all looked tired and hurt. She must be very lucky because she just sprained her leg while the tough Attica now appeared with her hand broken and bandaged.

Ares then took the princess slightly away and whispered to her.

"Are you sure? You show weakness in front of them. It's okay to be a little tough here. You may need to do it so they Will respect you." Ares advised her

"What? No. They saved my life earlier, when in the palace of Sparta I was almost kidnapped and they helped me escape," Jill explained

"What happened? I made a clear agreement with your father." Ares was a little angry.

Jill turned pale. shouldn't she have said it? She had remembered that the envoys had said there was no need to tell Ares about the betrayal of the king of Sparta.

"That-" Jill thought evasively.

"You were forgiven, but now you owe your life to the princess of Sparta," Ares told the envoys.

"I also want to hear what's going on in Sparta. I hope you're not hiding anything from me," he continued.

"Please don't hurt them!" Jill couldn't help but speak.

"What? Who do you mean?"

"The humans and my family in Sparta, do you intend to punish them?" Jill asked anxiously.

The war god smiled faintly.

"Unfortunately I can't do it princess, if the humans disobey, my job is to punish them," he said.

Jill was silent, his words seemed to remind her that she too was human. Ares would not hesitate to punish her if she made a mistake. She started to get too comfortable because of Ares's polite treatment of her since their first meeting.

She absolutely must not forget his title as the god of war, his age which already reached thousands of years and his non-human status. His way of thinking will certainly be different.

"You better get some rest, we've prepared a room for you," Ares told her.

"Room for me?" She made sure.

"Yes, princess, you have your own room. Why? Do you want to share a room with me right away?" Ares laughed. The princess's face turned red again.

"You misunderstood, I don't think so," he shook her head frantically.