" 'Course I'm not George, but I'm a changed woman, rational thought and all that."

"Bullshit, rational thought. You're just a psychopath who thinks it's fun to play with her food." Punz rolls his eyes. "No, she's not okay with it, but she pretends she is because she's plotting her little nefarious escape plans behind our backs."

Both my eyebrows affix themselves onto my forehead. "Nefarious? That's a big word, where'd you learn that one?"

"So you disagree, they're not nefarious?"

"Of course they are, who do you think I am?"

"Crazy. You're like actually crazy." George says, slightly stunned, shaking his head.

"Ding ding ding." I giggle, opening up the spice draw. "We're having steak and mash for dinner."

"You know how long it took her to try and escape the first time?" Punz asks, collapsing down on the couch, George sitting in an armchair. 

"A day?"

"More like forty five minutes, once she woke up."

"Which I'm still mad about, just so you know." I interject, while rubbing spices into the strips of steak. 

"Yeah, yeah we know." Punz says.

"You think I'm joking? Try knock me out again and see what happens." 

"How'd you do it Rose?" George asks curiously, and I have to stifle a laugh. 

"Sheer dedication and genius." I answer, looking straight down at the bench so I don't crack up.

"She seduced Dream, then stole his axe and bolted into the forest."

"Seduced?"

A laugh escapes me. "Seduced is a misleading term-"

"You put your hand down his pants."

George chokes on air. "What?"

"Barely!"

George glances between me and Punz, disbelief on his face. "Where is Dream, by the way?"

Punz shrugs. "On a trip with Sapnap, they didn't say anything, Dream just paid me extra to watch Rosie full time for a couple days."

"Like you deserve the extra money, you just lock me in my room at night." I say pointedly, putting the potatoes on boil and moving to pour oil into a frying pan. 

"Yeah but I have to stay alert for the entire day."

"I haven't even tried to escape again." 

"I know you're just waiting for an opportunity."

"Gotta earn it Punz." I chuckle, laying out the steaks in the pan, accompanied by a delicious sizzle and puff of steam. 

Funnily enough, we fall into conversation while I cook, lighthearted jokes and surface level topics, but it's easy going and it's natural, and its nice. Sometimes, I overlook how easy it is to forget. 

Or at the very least pretend. I've gotten good at pretending. 

Eret comes home just as I plate up dinner, masking any surprise at George's appearance with pleasant normalcy and tiredness from travelling. 

I finish chewing a piece of steak, setting my knife and fork down on my half-finished plate. "So uh, I wanted to know if I can go and see Niki. I know Dream said no visits, but I really miss her and I-"

"Niki?" George interrupts. "Niki left L'manburg weeks ago."

She what?

 Punz's eyebrows crease in the centre, but Eret's doesn't even betray a flicker of surprise, washed pale with a tinge of guilt.