3

Niki instantly falls in love with the kitten, grabbing it from me the instant she lays her eyes on him. I can't help the smile that spreads over my face as she tucks it tightly into her chest, cooing gently at the adorable fluffy creature in her arms. She's also overjoyed that I invited Dream to dinner, elbowing me teasingly in the ribs and shooting me a knowing grin. 

I let her settle the kitten in and find it a place to sleep, and I start working on dinner, a simple lamb stew. Eret brought over some mutton from his last hunt, and I pull it out of the cool room, along with carrots and potatoes that we harvested a day ago. I'm just throwing the last of the carrots in the pot when the door flies open. I shoot my head up, expecting Dream, but am instead met with the lanky figure of Tommy. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask, stunned. He walks inside and drops down unceremoniously onto the couch, sighing dramatically.

"Wilbur and Tubbo are having a meeting and it is so boring, all they want to do is talk about L'manburg this and L'manburg that, blah blah blah. So I came to your house for dinner." He says. I put my hands on his hips, unfazedly staring at him. 

"First of all Tommy, you actually need to tell us you're coming so we can have food for you. And second of all, tonight is not a good time for you to be over." I sigh. I can only imagine the utter chaos that would result in Tommy and Dream being in the same room. 

"Why isn't it a good time?" Tommy complains incredulously, stretching his arms out as he sinks down even more ungracefully over the couch. The knock on the door answers it for me. How could the timing be this bad? I take in a deep breath, and ready myself for the incoming inevitable confrontation. 

Niki opens the door and Dream steps into the living room, mask covering his eyes and nose. It's almost like the sight of him hits Tommy like a train. He freezes, eyes bulging, mouth hanging open in horror, and we all collectively hold our breaths for the moment his brain reconnects to his mouth. 

"What the fuck is he doing here?!" Tommy shrieks, bolting upright. Niki and I wince at the volume, and I fly into damage control mode.

"He's here for dinner, which you would have known if you didn't come barging in here." I retort.

"Rosie invited me." Dream adds smugly, and I snap my head to glare at him. That's really not helping. 

"I didn't ask you, you dumb ugly basta-" Tommy begins.

"Thank you Dream, we didn't need that input. Sorry Tommy, I did invite him, you'll have to come for dinner tomorrow." I cut in smoothly, attempting to avoid a second war exploding right here in my living room. 

"I am not leaving so he can have dinner with you. I was here first." Tommy proclaims, and I almost strain my eyeballs from rolling them too hard. 

"Well Tommy, you're more than welcome to stay. In fact, I think it will be good for both of you." Niki says sweetly, and all three of us turn to her, faces painted with surprise. 

"No Niki it's okay, I'll go back to L'manburg." Tommy groans, picking himself up off the couch. Niki just steps in front of the door.

"No Tommy, I insist." She says, still sweetly, but there's a dangerous undercurrent to her words. Tommy turns to look at me, his eyes begging me for help, but I just shrug my shoulders. There's no getting in between Niki and dinner. Dream's still standing there awkwardly and I shoot him an apologetic look. This is going to be a long night for all of us. 

We all get settled down at the table, Tommy shooting murderous looks in Dream's direction, and Dream plastering a cocky smirk on his face. I sit next to Tommy, and Niki sits next to Dream, the two facing off diagonally across the table. I ladle out bowl fulls of stew for everyone, and I can feel my eye start to twitch in rage at Tommy's unnecessarily aggressive chewing as he sends daggers at Dream.