39 - Part One

The first thing I realise is the sheer amount of people, packed into the open area before the podium, brightly coloured dots with indiscernible features, tittering expectantly as the whole country waits with bated breath.

Niki is clinging onto my hand tightly, fingers locked around mine, so hard they're turning white. Wilbur and Tommy stand on the other side to us, and I send Tommy a reassuring smile, before fixing my vision back to the front, chin lifted, head held high. 

I can't help the trembling terror that snakes up the back of my neck, as Fundy and Schlatt stand behind us, opposite to George and Quackity, who I also refuse to look at. 

Looking back out over the crowd, I spot a few familiar faces, Sapnap's dark hairs and cheery wave, Eret's focused features and dark glasses, Dream's stark white mask. Tubbo and Jack are mixed in there as well, all just as tense as I am. 

I nervously wipe my sweaty palm on the back of my coat, flexing my fingers in and out. The tension hangs in the air, thick and heavy, a smothering presence that seems too subdue the crowd, dampening their usual excitement. 

I swear we almost take in a collective breath as Wilbur struts his way to the podium, with all the confidence of a man who has already won. 

I glance back around, noticing the way Tommy's fingers tremble, even as he tries to keep himself still, the downturned corners of George's mouth, the nervous excitement in the way Quackity bounces on the balls of his feet, the casual easiness in Schlatt's posture, and the hyper focused expression on Fundys face. Wilbur begins to speak, voice echoing with a slight static crackle over the sea of almost silent people. 

"Thank you for coming here today, to watch a historic moment." He pauses, and for a split second I can finally see the uncertainty in his expression, before it vanishes. "The passing over of the presidency, for the first election of L'manburg. I have with me the election results of the four parties, SWAG 2020, POG 2020, COCONUT 2020 and SCHLATT 2020."

Quackity lets out a cheer at the mention of his party, but it dies off almost instantly in the face of immovable silence in response. Wilbur pauses for a moment, turning around to stare at him disapprovingly. He pulls an envelope out of his pocket, stiff cream paper with an official red wax seal. 

I close my eyes as he opens it, replaying a mantra. 

Just don't let Schlatt win. Just don't let Schlatt win. 

My eyes snap back open as he steps back to the microphone. The crowd stands silent and still, the whole world seemingly frozen as it waits for Wilbur's next words. 

"With nine percent of the vote, in fourth place, is COCONUT 2020."

I think I forget how to breathe, as the world blinks out of focus, and all I can hear are those words reverberating around in my head. The crowd murmurs, half hearted applause rippling through the sea of people. I knew it was unlikely for us to win, all I can hope is that we did enough to stop Schlatt and Fundy. 

Niki squeezes my hand, and I blink again, snapping back into the moment. I force a smile of gratitude on my face, waving to the crowd, before she pulls me off the stage, and down the hill. 

The whole time, all I can focus on is the horrifying realisation that Schlatt could win this. That my home, my life could be controlled by him, and the man that tortured and kidnapped me. I don't even realise Sapnap has his arm around my shoulders, until he whispers into my ear.

"You did good Rosie, you took votes away from Schlatt, that's all you needed to do."

I don't think I'll be able to believe him until I see Schlatt crumble with my own eyes.