48

TW// Descriptions of graphic violence

Holy fuck. 

Dream and I both jerk towards the window, but I shove him back down, eyes still glued on the thick clouds of smoke that are rising from behind the walls. There's voices yelling, too far away to be understandable. 

"What's going on?" Dream asks, pushing up against the hand I've planted on his shoulder.

"Don't get up, you've lost too much blood." I tell him. "I'll go check."

His hand closes around my wrist before I'm even able to shift my feet. "As much as I like it, you're not ordering me around."

I yank my hand out, rolling my eyes. "Gross, and you're not even going to make it out the door before you faint. I'll tell you everything when I get back."

Thankfully, the man can sometimes sees reason, and he lets me go without any further complaint. I fly out of the doors, sprinting towards the wall entrance. I can hear a woman screaming, and a deep voice shouting incoherent words, full of conviction and anger. 

I get past the walls when I realise it's the flag pole, completely alight with towering flames, blue, yellow, red charring underneath it. Nearby, Niki and Eret are screaming at someone behind them. 

"Why would you do that?" Niki shrieks, bordering on inconsolable. I'd be surprised at the fact she's out of the house, but I'm more concerned at the fact the L'Manburg flag has just gone up in fire. 

"Niki?!" I call out, pulling my shirt up to cover my nose as I stumble through the plumes of dark grey smoke that float on the ground. "What's happening?" 

"He- he burned it!" She yells, as I push through, holding my breath, nose burning, eyes stinging as the smoke threatens to choke me. I reach the edge, squinting through remaining whispy haze to see Eret, standing helplessly back while Niki advances on Fundy

Oh of fucking course it's Fundy.

I finally make it through to clean air, coughing in lungfuls of oxygen and wiping my eyes. Niki has tears pouring down her face, and Fundy's eyebrows are singed off, flint and steel clutched in his hands. 

"He burned down the flag?" I ask, confused. Niki glares at him with hatred I didn't even know she capable of mustering. 

"I can't believe you would do this!" She yells at him. "How could you?" 

"A new beginning Niki!" He yells back in glee. "Manburg is turning a new leaf!" 

I reach them, swapping a concerned look with Eret before stepping in front of them, glancing between the gigantic blaze raging and the man before me. "What?"

"L'manburg is finished Rosie, it's Manburg now, time for a new beginning." He explains, gesturing behind me.

"You're betraying L'manburg then." I say, shaking my head. "This is it?"

"It's a new country, Schlatt's making it better for everyone." 

"You tortured me!" I scream. "You fucking locked me in a room and sliced me open because you thought I was a traitor! And now, now look at you, burning down the fucking flag!"

"Schlatt-"

"Oh Schlatt!" I spit venomously, because everything is bubbling over and rising up and my blood is boiling just beneath the surface and I am going to fucking lose my goddamn mind. "Just as bad as you are! You're the ones that should have been killed, not Jack."

"We're making it better!" He screams back, feral look in his eyes.

"How could you?!" Niki repeats, pulling against a silent Eret, who's mouth is downturned in disgust.