35

He fucked up. 

Well, really it was Schlatt who fucked up, bringing back that deranged psycho. He just wanted Rosie to get scared a little, reminded of the dangers out there, just enough to make her come running back to him. 

And it worked, for a split second, and then she slipped through his fingers again. 

It had been so nice, so right, her back in his arms, so vulnerable and fragile and reliant. If Niki hadn't of kept getting in his way, he'd of had more time, more time with her, the way things should be, before those fucking L'manburgians ripped her away from him. 

He'd lost it in the woods, truly, but the day had shaken him. Rosie's outburst had been so...sudden, so violent, and then there was the relief of her being back where she belongs, before it was all taken way from him. By them. 

He follows Schlatt back to his cabin in the woods, right hand tensed on the heavy blade that sits at his belt. He was always uneasy around Schlatt, so slimy, so rehearsed, smooth grin on an unmovable face. Just as much of a mask as Dream's own. 

Schlatt reaches the wooden door, unlocking it and letting Dream step past him. He pushes past the man, then leans on the bench top, surveying him through the slits in his mask. 

"Now, let's talk." Schlatt begins calmly, and Dream has the sudden urge to slit his throat right then and there, because this fucking dick jeopardised everything with Rosie,  and no one takes Dream's control, or undermines his word. He tells people what to do, and they do it. 

"There's nothing to talk about." He begins stiffly. "We had an agreement Schlatt. I bring you into L'manburg's election and give you power, and you make sure that Rosemary, and all the other members of L'manburg stay in line." 

"Now you see-" Schlatt tries, but Dream cuts him off.

"We had a deal to work together, you for power, and me for control. Let's not forget who came to who here. You want power, you're fucking desperate for it, and I said I'd give you a chance to earn it, because I want something in return."

He advances, sizing up Schlatt, pristine suit, blank skin, no scars, or scrapes or bruises. Too perfect and precious. He could rip his throat out in a heartbeat. 

"So, you better not screw up the one thing you had to do. I don't give a fuck about L'manburg, or Tommy and Wilbur or Quackity. I couldn't care less! I just need you to hold up your end of the fucking deal. Is that clear enough Schlatt?" 

The truth is, he doesn't even need Schlatt. He refused his offer when he first came to him, grovelling at his feet like a pathetic kicked puppy, but then Rosie's little independence streak thrown his plans off track, and well, Schlatt suddenly had use to him. 

And hey, what's life without making L'manburg's insolent existence miserable?

Even better when the enemy suddenly shifts from him to Schlatt, give them a new face to hate, to twist into the perfect twisted being. Never mind that maybe, just maybe, they're the ones in the wrong, that they should have just kept quiet and learnt their place. 

It definitely makes it easier for Rosie to snap out of it, realise that he's not the bad guy. Because that's what he's doing this all for. All the theatrics, and the resources, and the insufferability of working with a man Dream knew would sell him out for three pieces of dirt, if a better deal came along.

"Of course Dream." Schlatt responds in a placating tone, one that makes Dream's eye twitch with some sort of supernatural intensity. "I know this seems like a mess, but I know what I'm doing, and I will uphold my end of the bargain."