Part twenty-two

The loneliest moment in someone's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly
- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Coach Gordon Bombay was sitting in his office a day before team USA played russia when Charlie barged him calling his name.

"I know with banks out we got a roster slot open." He said standing in front of his coach's desk. He had thought of the idea ever since he found out Adam was benched now all Charlie had to do was convince his coach.

"Yeah?"

"You remember how I always told you I'd make a better coach than player? I did some scouting for us." Charlie turned to the door and Invited the possible new team USA player.

Out walked Russ Tyler.

"Russ Tyler, coach Bombay."

"Hiya coach." Russ said holding on to a beat up hockey stick with tape falling off it in one hand and ice skates in the other.

"Russ Tyler, huh. Well Russ what can you do for the team." The coach asked.

"You've never heard of my knucklepuck?"

"No." Bombay stated.

Team USA had the lead over Russia, 2-1 in the third period. Russ Tyler the newest member of team USA skated on the ice calling for the puck.

Once guy passed it to him Russ was ready.

"It's knucklepuck time." Russ told himself and wound up to take the shot. He sent the puck flying through the air and landing in the net.

"Russ Tyler shoots, he scores!" Said the announcer. The crowd cheered as team USA won the game.

In the crowd Irene saw Caleb waiting for her by the bench hastily she skated over from the crowd of team USA players on the ice to the bench to say hi.

"You did a good job." He sent her a smile.

"Thank- woah what happened to your eye?" She asked finally looking up. She was worried. His eye was black and blue but he shrugged.

"It's okay I barely can feel anything." He told her as her ungloved hand touched his bruise.

He quickly pulled away when he saw Dean approach.

"I gotta go. Bye Irene." Then he sped walked away leaving Irene confused.

"I don't trust him." Dean grumbled.

Irene rolled her eyes.

"I saw him, Irene, kissing another girl." He told her and she shook her head.

"I don't believe you." She spat and turned to walk away.

"I'm telling you the truth Irene. He's not a nice guy!"

"And you are? Just because you kissed me once, which didn't even count by the way, doesn't mean suddenly it matters what you think about guys." She started to yell when she saw people stare at her and quieted down.

She turned away and began walking to the locker room when she was met by Connie and Julie.

"You kissed Dean?" Connie asked.

"I- no. Sorta, Wait, how do you know?" Irene fumbled over her words.

"I think the whole rink heard you yelling." Julie commented.

"Oh."

"I told you they were dating." Julie tells Connie. "I win, you owe me 20 bucks."

"Who's dating?" Averman asks, overhearing the conversation.