Part seventeen

It was a warm day out. The sun beamed down on the teens stretching on a field of fake grass. After a long day of rest thanks to Miss Mackay they were ready for their game. The game against Iceland wore them out, even though they weren't sore anymore and even Irene's shoulder stopped bothering her for the most part;  they still were upset about losing. Most of all they were upset from their coach's actions. He skated them until they dropped. Goldberg ended up puking on the ice from skating so hard which was something he wasn't used to as he was a goalie.

Irene sighed as she stretched her arm over her head. Even if her arm wasn't sore anymore, certain movements would cause pain. Though no one noticed, not even Fulton. Irene was one of those people who would ignore pain for as long as possible.

They stretched forward bodies hunched as they moved their hands to their feet. Sweat dripped from Irene's nose from her previous laps she took around the track with the team.

"Hold two three!"

Even without the coach being there they decided they needed to do something other than sit around and mope from their loss.

Irene next to Fulton heard a groaned,

"if coach isn't here then why do we?" Connie asked as she stretched her core muscles and arms.

"We have a game tonight, we have to work out." Dean told her.

Irene rolled her eyes at Dean. It bothered her that he was nice to the rest of the team except her. Sure it went both ways but he liked to get under her skin and she didn't know why.

"I say mutiny, who's with me?" Goldberg stopped stretching.

"I'm too tired for mutiny." Dwayne said.

"Come on guys we could use the conditioning." Irene pointed out to them.

"I agree with Irene." Julie told them.

Irene sent Julie a smile thanking her for agreeing with her. If Irene was being honest she didn't mind the running and stretches they did. Even though she wasn't a morning person she didn't enjoy early runs before a game.

"Speak for yourself babe." Dean told Irene.

"Her name is Irene, not 'babe'" Adam Banks stood up for her even though Irene could have handled it herself she appreciated the thought.

"Don't tell me how to talk, rich boy!" Dean said, getting up in Adam's face.

"Portman chill!" Fulton yelled running up to him as Dean pushed Adam.

"Guys stop fighting!"

"Yo team USA what are you gonna do all day, a million jumping jacks?" Someone said, it was the kid from the crowd who always made fun of their team.

"This kid's crazier than me. Forget about him." Dean said and turned back to Fulton, getting in
his face.

"Look Fulton!" He yelled and Fulton shoved him.

"Hey chill, leave him alone!" Irene said getting in the middle of the two boys, just like what she did when she first met Dean. 

Irene stood between the two pushing them away. Her eyes flicked to Fulton. He had a glare on his face and stood close to Irene. She sighed as Jesse began to yell at the kid from the stands.

"Man, I'm getting sick of you!" Jesse yelled as he walked closer.

"I'm getting sick of seeing the USA represented by a bunch of whining babies." He skated over.

"Too bad you can't back up that mouth." Jesse told him with a smug look on his face.

"Me and my boys can take you anytime anywhere."

"I don't see no boys"

"I got 'em waiting." He  paused and looked at everyone, "Grab your gear and let's play some schoolyard puck or maybe you forgot what it's like to play for real pride." He told the team as a security guard walked over.

He said something to him that Irene couldn't make out and soon the boy was being escorted out off the track.

"It's not too far you wimps!" He yelled as he got farther from the track.

Irene turned to grab her bag, it had all her gear in it even though they weren't at the rink. She looked at everyone and began to speak.

"Are we going or what? We need to practice anyway." Irene said to the team.

"She has a point guys." Charlie, their captain, told them and everyone nodded.

Team USA soon arrived at the old court. The boy, who they soon learned was named Russ, stood
near a group of boys.

"My little brother Russ here has been telling me you've been choking big time."

"Well your brother's got a big mouth." Jesse Hall told him.

Irene sent him a look. "So do you." She mumbled and Jesse looked at her before turning his  attention back to the people in front of the team.

From the look on Jesse's face you would think he regretted what he said and he did as all the boys stared him down.

The older boy smiled, "He does, doesn't he?"

"Anyways we'd thought we'd see what you got."

Averman looked like he was going to say something but got  interrupted by the gate getting slammed.

"Sorry I'm late! I missed the bus." A red headed boy hastily skated over joining Russ.

The voice Irene immediately recognized as Kia Peterson. She sent him a smile.

It was just like Kai to miss the bus, he never did have good time management skills.

"What did I miss?" He asked.

Irene got slammed into the fence by Kai.

"I forgot how aggressive you play." She groaned and he smiled and skated off.

Team USA tried getting the puck from Russ's boys but failed over and over. Sticks hit and the puck got passed to someone who scored.

Their goal was an old metal bin that would clang every time someone crashed into it, mostly team USA.

Luis stole the puck from Russ and skated, scoring into the bin.

"Oh no not again!"

Irene shook her head as she skated over to Luis. She'd been helping him stop but nothing was sticking.

"Hey hey hey, use the brakes, baby."

Irene was out and watched as her friends lost.

The puck hit the bin and launched into the air before flying over the fence and sounding a car alarm.

Charlie got the puck after someone threw it over and scored.

USA cheered at the goal.

It seemed to be turning around for team USA but Russ got the puck that bounced out of the bin. He skated towards their goal and made it fly into the goal with a loud bang.

"What kind of shot was that?" Fulton asked, skating up to the boy.

"The knuckle puck."

————————————————————————

Word count: 1122

Ahh I'm so sorry for the really late update. It took me a while to get motivated to write this, if I'm being honest I thought about giving up all together but I really want to finish it. Thinking about it there is probably not going to be a second book of hers but possibly might make a short spinoff.

Have a duckie day.