Part fourteen

Coach Gordon Bombay walked into the ducks locker room, his hair slicked back and suit on.

"All right, who's ready for warm ups!" He said, clapping his hands.

"Nice suit coach!"

Irene and the two bash bros stayed quiet, not sure how to go about the news from last night.

Irene felt betrayed. Betrayed that their coach is talking with the enemy, betrayed that he made everything stressful and most of all betrayed that he never told her she was his family.

"Nice jacket, did you get two pairs of pants with that?" Averman joked as he walked by.

Irene was the first to approach her coach.

"Coach."

"Irene I.." he paused and looked at Irene who had an icy stare, "I wanted to apologize, I should have told you I was your uncle. It-"

He looked like he was going to say more but got interrupted by Fulton speaking.

"Good night last night coach?" He asked.

"Yeah it was fine."

"What's ya do?" Dean fake wondered.

"Oh I..." he tried to think of a good lie to tell the players standing next to him.

"Just watched some tv and went to bed early."
Bombay told them, fixing his tie.

"But not without stopping for some dessert right?" Dean looked at the coach who was getting visibly distressed.

"Maybe some ice cream." Irene added on making the coach look at her before she walked away.

Some part of her knew he wouldn't tell them the truth but it still hurt to see him lie.

As Irene was walking away, Averman joked around.

"Nice hair cut. Lose a bet?" Averman asked, causing Irene to laugh as she passed.

Just as Irene walked out of the locker room she heard feet running behind her. It was Adam.

"Hey." She sent the boy a smile which he gladly returned.

"Nervous?" He looked down at her twiddling thumbs as they walked.

"Do you think we'll do good, Banksy ?"

"Banksy?" Adam laughed.

She gave him a nervous smile.

"I sure hope so." He said, answering her question.

Dean was walking out of the locker room with his friend when he saw Irene and Adam laughing together.

"Hey." He gave Fulton a nudge in the side getting his attention, "When did that happen?"

Fulton looked up and saw his childhood friend walking with the cake eater. Fulton shrugged and continued walking.

"Live from Los Angeles, welcome to the junior goodwill games." Averman spoke into his stick pretending it was a microphone.

"Tonight's matchup, team USA faces off team Iceland. Here we have George Goldberg, goaltender for team USA and..." Averman's eyes searched for someone who would play along with their joke.

"Irene!" He waved her over to where they were and she speedily skated over accidentally spraying ice as she stopped.

"Irene O'Callahan, right winger."

"Greg." He gave Goldberg the stick he was using as a microphone, "what is it going to take to beat these feisty Icelanders tonight?"

"I think it'll take a supreme individual effort by me, Greg Goldberg." Goldberg asked from the crease.