Part four

"So," he clapped his hands together, "tell me about my new kids." Gordon Bombay said to Don Tibbles the official sponsor of team USA.

He thought that one of the teens looked familiar but wasn't sure what it was. He thought he had seen them around before with his defender Fulton as well as the last name. He could've sworn he heard it before.

"That's Luis Mendoza, he's from our Miami club. A real speedster. Clocked in 1.9 seconds, blue line to blue line." Don Tibbles told him, snapping the coach out of his thoughts about number 17.

Luis then began skating around, he skated backwards doing a simple spin turning himself facing forwards. Irene found it impressive that he could glide with such speed but it comes with a downfall. A pro to a con if you will.

"Good looking skater." Connie, a girl from the ducks, said.

"Very good looking skater what do you think guy?" Averman egged guy on knowing he got jealous of pretty boys who talked to Connie.

Guy Germaine wasn't jealous or at least he wouldn't admit it. It wasn't that he didn't trust Connie because he did, he trusted her with everything. He just didn't trust pretty boys like Luis.

"Oh shut up." Guy elbowed averman causing him to fall on the ice with a thud.

"Oof."

"He just has one problem." Irene heard Don Tibbles say as she watched Luis skate around in awe at his speed. "Stopping." Like it was planned as soon as he said that Luis full force crashed into the boards as he tried stopping.

The new players all skated over to help him, as much as Irene didn't want to, she didn't want to seem like an asshole so she joined.

That would be a problem hoarding noticed. An advantage mostly but a problem. Luckily for Luis, Gordon Bombay was an excellent coach. Sure last year he called them losers but he was being sarcastic and sure he made Charlie Conway,  the captain of the team, cheat and when he refused he yelled at him and made him quit but he was a good coach minus his quirks. This time Coach Gordon Bombay was going to be the best coach to team USA, or at least try.

"I almost had it that time." Luis told the team accepting the hand Irene reluctantly offered.

"Uh huh."

Irene figured once he learned how to stop he'd be a good winger because of how fast he could skate.

Next up was the boy in the cowboy hat, Dwayne Robertson, "Yee-haw! How's everyone doing, y'all ready to play some puck?" The loud Texas voice asked. Dwayne took off his prized cowboy hat he had won at a horse show and swapped it for a hockey helmet.

"Hey look. It's hopalong Gretzky." Jesse hall commented, making everyone who heard laugh.

Fulton looked over at the remaining players and saw someone who looked familiar. She even had the same last name. He shook his head and remembered that she probably was either still in juvie or seattle. He reminded himself she hadn't visited in years and probably won't again.

"That's Dwayne Robertson from Austin Texas, best puck handler I've seen." Don Tibbles told the coach as Dwayne kept bouncing the puck on his stick.

Irene knew no one from the thunderbirds could even dream of that. One kid named Franklin tried and ended up hitting her coach in the head. Let's just say he didn't play hockey for a while after that. She watched in awe as the puck bounced up and down as he showed off.

"For his age?" He questioned. Bombay was impressed to say the least, he hoped the cowboy lived up to his skill even with the teen's apparent showboating.