Part twenty-one

I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hate so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they'll be forced to deal with pain.
- James Baldwin

Irene woke up early in the morning, she looked over and saw Julie sleeping. The loud snores kept her awake even if she didn't want to be.

Reluctantly but full of energy she rolled out of bed and quietly changed not wanting to wake the sleeping girls. Irene tied her tennis shoes and opened the door. With headphones plugged in and her Walkman blasting music she walked down the hallway.

She made it past the rest of the USA dorms when she felt the presence of someone.

"Going somewhere O'Callahan?" Someone said rudely. Irene turned around and saw Olaf Sanderson from Iceland.

She remembered him punching her because she pushed him on the ice after he hit Adam with his stick. Looking back that wasn't a very good idea to fight him but he was the reason Adam couldn't play.

He walked in front of Irene looking her up and down.

"Yes I am so now move." She told him and shoved him as she walked by.

Or at least she tried to walk off. He grabbed her arm before she could and pulled her close.

"Get your hands off me or I swear to god-" he cut her off before she could finish.

"You better watch out O'Callahan."  Olaf glared, causing Irene to scoff.

"Is that a threat Sanderson?"  She spat and he let her go.

"Don't say I didn't warn you."

Olaf walked off without another word back to where Irene assumed was the iceland dorms. She shuddered thinking about the upcoming iceland game. She wasn't about to lose again.

She stood there wondering what he meant before deciding to still go on her run as she couldn't sleep now more than ever.

Once at the park the sun started to shine more and peek out from beneath the trees. Her feet hit against the concrete path. She jogged at a mild pace so as not to lose her breath. Being on a relatively small team back in seattle she learned how to skate for long periods of time meaning she probably could outrun some players on her team, maybe not Luis but definitely Dean.

Somehow lately she found herself thinking more about the goon with the bandanna. How'd he act all mean and tough but go all childish for ice cream or how'd he'd pretend not to care but stayed with Irene that night with her dad. Maybe just maybe she finally realized their arguments were stupid and pointless.

Fulton and Dean saw that team Canada was playing against Russia and decided to go. Simple to prepare against Russia at least that's what Dean told Fulton when he asked why. When in reality it was to watch a certain Canadian player.

Second period the score was 4-2 and Canada was in the lead . Fulton watched as Russia's goalie failed to block a shot from the left just like all the shots he let in before. Dean however was too busy drilling daggers at Caleb to watch the game. He watched as Caleb stepped out on the ice switching out with a teammate who just got badly checked. Canada was quick, skilled too but Dean, at least in his mind his team was better as they were able to beat. They lacked the defense to win.

Third period minutes left on the clock. The score was 4-3Canada still in the lead. No chance of Russia winning when the Russians got the puck and a player number 4, skated up the ice passing it to another teammate. Nearing the goal it looked like the player with the puck was going to score but they tricked the goalie with a deke and passed it to the player next to him who scored the goal with a nice wrist shot . The buzzer went and Russia won. Cheers from Russia's side broke out and everyone was cheering in a language neither boys could understand.

Fulton and Dean finally made it through the crowd and near the door.

"I'm going to get some water." Dean shouted to Fulton even though he was right next to him. Fulton nodded and told him to meet him at the dorms.

As he got water he saw Caleb, tempted to go say a few words to him about Irene. He watched him waiting for the perfect opportunity when he saw him with a girl with long black hair and dark skin. That definitely wasn't Irene he was kissing against the wall with. His jaw clenched as he silently watched hidden by the water fountain. Calebs hands roamed and Dean decided that was enough. 

Next thing the both of them knew Caleb was on the floor and Dean had punched him in the eye. The girl with him shrieked and ran away.

"I don't ever want to see you near Irene again. Got it." Dean threaten holding Caleb by his jersey pulling him off the floor.

Caleb though tall but lacked the strength to fight back nodded quickly and Dean let go. He sent number 37 one last glare before walking back to his dorm.

————————————————————————
Word count: 880