Part seven

"Ta dah!" Mr. Tibbles said, pulling off a cover that was over a big box.

It showed team USA on a giant Wheaties box.

"Hey y'all that's us!" Dwayne pointed out like it wasn't already obvious.

"Duh whatta ya know?" Fulton said, making the team laugh but Irene felt bad as the cowboy's smile fell from his face.

"Couldn't you have been nice?" She asked her friend who was standing next to her just loud enough for him to hear.

"Today it's a cereal box, tomorrow it's video games, action figures, lunch boxes. The sky's the limit." Don stretched out his arms to prove his point.

"Now to make sure everyone knows who you are, here's one of these!" He held up the team USA jerseys, it wasn't anything like the ducks jersey like what they were used to. It was read and white and had blue in it a lot like the flag.

"Fulton here you go." He tossed a jersey to Fulton who caught it and was examining it looking happy, "Coach." He threw one to Gordon who was happy with how they looked.

"Come on take your own I'm not going to stand here tossing them all." He motioned for them to get up.

Irene was sitting with Fulton in the back when he got up, she softly followed behind.

"Here ya go, sunshine."

It was Dean. He had Irene's jersey in his hand looking at her last name and number.

She grabbed her jersey and turned to leave  but was stopped when she heard him talk.

"What? No thank you?"

She rolled her eyes and sighed, "Woah thanks so much Dean you're the best." Sarcasm dropped off her words as she gave him a cocky grin.

He gave her a look before walking off to his seat.

She noticed Charlie was looking down and walked over there. Normally she wouldn't say anything but she had a sudden boost of confidence.

"How do you like the jerseys?" Irene asked, leaning against the table.

"It's good but it's not the ducks, this has Hendricks all over it Irene."

Irene tried to comfort him but didn't really know how. So instead she just smiled.

"They are our sponsors Charlie."

She sort of knew Charlie Conway. She knew his mom casey from when she and Fulton would get milkshakes and sometimes she'd run into Charlie.

"So? Cant we be USA ducks?" He asked her.

"I don't know Charlie, it has a nice ring to it but Coach and the short dude had already planned out everything." She told him while slipping her jersey over her turtleneck, before giving him another smile. .

Well at least she can say she tried.

She noticed that Dean sat next to Fulton so she decided just to sit with Connie. After all they would be sharing a room so she better try and be friends.

"Cool jersey right?" Connie asked the girl who sat down.

"Hm? Oh yeah." She mumbled in response, thinking about what Charlie had said.

The ducks were sitting on the grass by a lake while Miss Mackay taught. If she was being honest Irene wasn't really paying much attention.

The team's tutor walked back in forth looking at the students before her

"Ancient Greece was the beginning of the western civilization. See in Greece they didn't have professional sports or Wheaties boxes."'

Irene was sitting next to Charlie when she felt something hard hit her back.