Ch42: Lonely Together

Start from the beginning

I hoisted myself from my bed, and immediately started getting ready. I decided to wear an elegant red dress that I'd been reserving for a special occasion, like today. I straightened my hair and applied a little bit of red lipstick (after all, it was the day before Christmas - I needed to be festive).

My gut sunk when I stared at my final reflection: my neck was bare. I should be wearing Emilie's necklace - if I hadn't lost it. Would Mr. Agreste ask me if I'd found it? Would Felix still be mad?

 Agreste ask me if I'd found it? Would Felix still be mad?

Maybe this dinner wasn't a good thing. But it was too late to back out now.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I stood frozen with fear in front of the Agreste mansion. It was a modern day palace - of course I knew Mr. Agreste was rich - but this was a new level of wealth. The Eiffel Tower was basically in their backyard. This had to be very expensive real estate.

I waited for a solid minute after knocking on the large wood door

I waited for a solid minute after knocking on the large wood door. Please open before I freeze to death, I pleaded.

I was greeted by Natalie who was wearing a navy dress and red earrings to match her hair. She gave me a smile (well, for anyone else it was barely a smile, but coming from Natalie it was a massive grin).

"Welcome home," she said, her eyes widening, "to the Agreste home," she corrected.

I fought the urge to laugh. I knew exactly what it was like to slip up for the sake of love. We were basically the same - two poor women who'd fallen into the Agreste snare.

"Your dress is very nice. Red is your color," she said, guiding me through the door's threshold.

Oh no! I didn't even think about that! Red was the color of Ladybug! Why would I wear this color? Hopefully no one would notice any similarities - after all, a lot of woman wore red.

I was guided down a tall arching hallway lined with pictures of Emilie. Finally we were in the dining hall, with a large black table, a few Christmas candles, and fancy plates and glasses. There was no Christmas tree or really any decorations besides the candles. The house felt a little hollow and dreary - it was more like we were having dinner on a stormy night rather than Christmas Eve.