Welcome to Golden Impact

I originally began the book with chapters about Quill and Jane before they log into the game

I originally began the book with chapters about Quill and Jane before they log into the game. If you'd like to learn more about Quill and Jane, go to the end of the uploaded chapters and read:

Quill

Jane and Her Parents

Impulse Purchase

Otherwise, start reading below!

Like a little kid, Quill was on the edge of his seat for days, waiting for his full-dive machine to arrive

Like a little kid, Quill was on the edge of his seat for days, waiting for his full-dive machine to arrive. When it did, he brought it into his apartment and tore the box open with enthusiasm.

Bringing the delicate equipment out and setting it up, he finally began to give some thought to the company behind the new release of World of Fantasy: Golden Impact. There was a reason that this new game was such a big deal and considered the gaming comeback of the century.

The original World of Fantasy, or WoF, development company, Wizard, had grown really successful in its first ten years of existence. It had then been bought out by a game publishing company, New Online Vision, and the two had merged, forming NOVisionWizard. NOVision remained the administrative wing, with Wizard and its fantastic game their most profitable subdivision.

At first, the merger had been a great success. With more capital and marketing expertise, the game had only grown, thanks in large part to the efforts of the original creative director of Wizard, Lenny Fitzkravitz, and some brilliant new storylines.

But as the years had passed, NOVision had taken note of changing trends, specifically the rise of mobile gaming and microtransactions. Suddenly, premium games like WoF were making less money than simplistic apps created in basements, where you played candy-shaped puzzles or something, with far less investment required. But what those simple apps lacked in real gameplay, they more than made up for in addictive methodology and gacha (gambling) mechanics that regularly drained users of more and more money. Digital crack dealers saw money rain from the sky.