Chapter 10

Nightfall had fallen over the pair, the eerie sounds of the winds whistled lightly over them, its cold breath sending shivers down their backs, a reminder of how harsh night can be. The carriage was moving at a slow pace because the horses were tired of riding the entire day. 

At the top sat Naruto with a heavy winter coat covering him. His facial features were hidden by his straw hat, his cold winter blue eyes watching every move ahead of them. He would occasionally spur his horses with words and clicks on the roof of his mouth while feeding apples and carrots for fuel. They were almost there. Back in the town, he had seen a heavy amount of soldiers from the leaf that he didn't announce. He looked back at the covered tent and listened in silence for her light breath. 

Sound asleep.

It was just a moment since they had switched seats. Hinata had covered for him to take some well-needed rest. Now it was her turn for that rest, he couldn't complain. She was certainly proving to be more useful than what he bargained for. To be frank, he expected her to be more of a burden due to her inexperience, but she was learning fast. And she learned from half-ass training. 

He honestly didn't think he would leave the country this soon. It was record time, and quite honestly a good time too. He had a suspicion that the increase of guards had something to do with him. But it was aimed at the unrest of the resistance, it was only a matter of time.

A few more silent hours passed, nothing out of the ordinary happened, it was mostly Naruto being fully on guard. There were a good amount of predators out this late, and perhaps a few foolish bandits. But thankfully none of it arrived. He would hate to abrupt Hinata's well-deserved sleep after all. He couldn't help look back and split the folds of the carriage to see her peaceful face. Without knowing, he had a small smile on his face. 

He watched her slowly take in breaths through her plump pursed lips, her peaceful relaxed features that held such calmness. He could see her occasionally jitter, she would hug herself closer for more warmth. It was quite cold and had no flame lanterns going to conceal their presence, Naruto mentally shook his head at his mistake, Hinata after all wasn't used to the cold weather outside the country. He then turned his body back toward the road and snaked his hands out of his winter coat and gently turned and placed it on top of the sleeping girl. 

She instantly grasped at the newfound warmth and settled into the coat like a purring kitten. Seeing that made the blonde man feel some type of way. His smile instantly faded and his head turned away from the girl. His hands returned on the reins of the horses and his sight on the road ahead.

His hand traveled towards his chest, and right where his beating heart would be, he clenched his fist right over it. He felt something he had not felt in a very long time. And this feeling scared him more than anything. 

~

Hinata was in pure bliss, she was trapped in a warmth that was so different than any other as if she was embraced in the arms of someone who just kept her safe. Everything about it just made her feel at peace. Opening her eyes, she looked around the dark space filled with empty crates and supplies. The sounds of the wheels moving on the road were heard with the occasional bump, she had no sense of time and where she was. Then it was all clicking, she looked down and felt the most comfortable coat over her. She inspected it much closer but couldn't make it out with no light, however, the scent gave it away. The manly scent that just had Naruto's name all over, a smell she had occasionally took notice of. 

Then it dawned on her, her face went bright red just at the thought of it, she was practically wrapped in the make-belief physical arms of the blonde. She looked toward the crack of the tent in caution and looked back at the coat. Silence.