Chapter 6

A witch?

Hinata was on edge, she felt the drop of silence befall them. The sounds of char and branches crackling were the only noise they heard. Not even an animal or an insect could be heard on this stagnant night. She watched Naruto cautiously look into the pitch-black void that was the forest that surrounded them. 

"Hinata… whatever you do...resist the urge….to sleep…"

Hinata's eyes widened, her vision began to fade and her hearing was diminished. She looked at the blonde with an intense stare and tried to make out the words coming out of his mouth. All she saw was his lips moving as he began to frantically look around. She didn't understand what was happening, all she wanted to do was just close her eyes. But something in the back of her mind urged her to remain awake. She could see Naruto now frantically calling out to her. She could make out her name coming from his mouth but no sound.

"What…?" She replied weakly. 

The blonde's eyes widened as he began to shout the lavender-haired girl's name. But it was too late, Hinata had succumbed to sleep. Softly and gently, her body laid to her side and her eyes slowly closed. Hinata could remember the look of worry on the blonde's face. But she couldn't understand. Nevertheless, she finally rested and succumbed.

~

Through the darkness of her thoughts, her instinct bashed her skull over and over. Giving her a sharp pain, she winced until she felt the cold blast of air around her body. Her eyelids felt extremely heavy. Her body remained frozen still, but her mind was awake. Finally, she opened her eyes and her hearing came back. Just ahead of her the blonde laid next to the fire, also unconscious and unaware. 

Suddenly, the foul smell of something rotten made its way to camp. The sound of a rattlesnake hissing could be heard. The winds picked up nearly putting out the campfire with every branch snap and footstep that made it near them. 

Then she saw it. A hunched person, slowly walking towards them. She hummed a tribal tone over and over. She would occasionally laugh and giggle, her demeanor almost didn't seem human. This was the famous witch that haunted these roads. She had heard the stories ever since she was a child. The witch would make people disappear at night. It was her.

She wanted to move her body so badly, but nothing was budging. She tried screaming but nothing came out. She felt like a lifeless vegetable. Her heart raced with every second as she now slowly began to panic. She could see the figure hover over Naruto with a sadistic laugh and sped up tribal hum. 

Without realizing it, the figure took a blade out and pointed it to the sky, and spoke in a tongue she didn't recognize. Now she began to panic, her mind begged her body to move. To do anything to save him. The sounds of the witches' laugh just filled her now desperate mind who was losing it with every passing second. 

Move! Move! Move! MOVE!

She repeated these words in her mind like a mantra.

But all thoughts ceased for the moment. The figure now with arms raised, held a small dagger in the palms of her hands. The witch whispered to herself before looking down on Naruto. 

Hinata was now able to produce some sound, but it was useless, her grunts and inner pleads to beg for any sign of movement from the blonde. But to no avail, her eyes began to well up with tears. This wasn't supposed to be like this. She wasn't meant to witness Naruto and her death at the hands of this evil being.

Ghhhrgggg!

The sound of flesh splitting filled her ears. Her cries ceased and her eyes now full with streams of tears. The sounds of laughter filled the camp as the figure took the dagger out. She licked the blood from the blade and fell into silent prayer. Hinata could see the pool of blood slowly mixing with the ground and grass beneath the blonde. His lifeless body laid there limp. His face turned away from hers, she cried and cried.