12. english class

12. e n g l i s h c l a s s

"Everyone, open your AP Lit textbooks to page 131, please

"Everyone, open your AP Lit textbooks to page 131, please."

Steve Pelt's voice ordered his students with a droning voice as some of them hastily opened their textbooks and others didn't budge.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The sudden movement awoke Florence from her open-eyed slumber.

"Hello?" Mr. Pelt's voice rang. "Anyone there?"

Laughs could be heard as Florence realized that she was the only one left in the classroom who hadn't opened her textbook. "Sorry," she muttered, too tired to care. She had spent the entire night before stressing over her future for no reason.

As Mr. Pelt quieted his students down, and urged his English students to start learning on this lovely morning, he grabbed a marker and started writing on the whiteboard behind him.

Mythological Creatures and Literature, he wrote.

Florence shook her head to wake herself up and focused her eyes on the board in front of her. Taking a sip of water, she was eager to hear what Steven was about to lecture them all about. Moving her head over her shoulder to look at the back of the classroom, Florence met Bella's eyes as she also paid attention the teacher's words.

Funny coincidence, Florence thought to herself.

"Florence." Mr. Pelt called. "Seeing as you were so eager to start learning in class today, what can you tell me about this... subject?" He asked.

The girl twirled a pen in her hands, trying to seem nonchalant in front of her classmates. She hadn't expected for Mr. Pelt to call on her, but given that he seemed too eager to go on a power-trip that morning, it was expected.

"Hmm," Florence thought aloud. "Dracula?" She settled with, lightly smirking as she said so.

In the back, a few students chuckled at the way she said the word. Bella, for one, enjoyed the girl's confidence. It was amusing, to say the least.

In the front, Mr. Pelt paced the classroom back and forth, rubbing a hand on his chin as he contemplated his next words. "And what about Dracula, Florence, what exactly does that have to do with literature?" He pointed his question at Flor again.

Florence looked back at him blankly, but silently doubted her previous answer. Dracula was a famous piece of classical literature, wasn't it?

"Uhh... you know, vampires." She stated loudly, shifting in her seat. Unconsciously, her eyes drifted to the back of the classroom back at Bella, who let out an unwarranted laugh at seeing Florence's sheepish facial expression.