6. reckless

A/N: The song for today's chapter is Obstacle 1 by Interpol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: In this fic, everyone's age range in the pack is much closer (Sam Uley & Leah, for example, are still in high school, but 19 y/o)

6. r e c k l e s s

After a long morning of  joking around and making some final touch-ups on their vehicles, Florence, Bella, and Jacob found themselves driving down the side of Highway 23, coming to a halt upon seeing a group of tanned-skin boys brawling on the edg...

After a long morning of joking around and making some final touch-ups on their vehicles, Florence, Bella, and Jacob found themselves driving down the side of Highway 23, coming to a halt upon seeing a group of tanned-skin boys brawling on the edge of a far- away cliff.

"Are they in a fight?!" Bella exclaimed, motioning for Jacob to get out of the car and hopping out. Trailing behind her, Florence cupped her hands around her eyes to get a better look. "The fuck?" She whispered.

Jacob could be heard chuckling beside them. "Relax, guys," he said. "They're cliff diving. Just showing off, that's all."

Bella looked over at Jacob uneasily. "Who's 'they'?"

"Sam Uley and his crew." Jacob answered bitterly.

That was Sam now?! Florence thought to herself. His appearance had changed drastically. "Shit, he just broke up with Leah a few weeks ago," Florence mused. "You're not gonna start showing off and join in with them soon, too, are you?" She voiced out loud.

The boy shook his head and chuckled again. "Please," he scoffed. "Me? Join the 'hall monitors on steroids' group? Never."

Florence wasn't 100% convinced- her mind kept trailing back to what Leah had said to her about Jacob getting distant lately. That, and his weird short-temper flares. All of the symptoms that the boys in Uley's crew had before joining him. The only thing that Jacob felt towards Sam that differed from the rest was clear resentment. Plus, Jacob had always been good at heart.

"That's a long way down just for some fun," Bella continued, glancing all the way down to the water's rough appearance with wary eyes.

"I guess they have nothing better to do," Jacob finished. Throwing a final glance at the Uley crew, Jacob motioned for the girls to follow him and get back in the truck.

-

"Hit the brakes!!"

Florence and Jacob yelled as they were watching Bella swerving on the edge of Highway 23 right when she hit a rock and fell. 

That was an understatement.

Florence and Jacob were grimacing at each other as they watched Bella attempt to ride an increasingly unsteady motorbike, on the edge of Highway 23, when she hit a boulder and smashed right into it. With her luck, this was bound to happen sooner or later.

However, having already anticipated Bella's clumsiness, Jacob raced behind her motorbike, leaving Florence to trail behind him.

"Are you okay?" The boy yelled.