33

After four years...

"How is my son doing, nurse?" Inquired the mother, concerned.

"The doctor said your son has to rest for a while so he can run some more tests on him," I added, giving the mother a nice soothing smile as if to reassure her that everything would be fine.

She smiled at me and said, "Thank you, Nurse."

"I'm just doing my job, Ma'am," I said, smiling. She sat down next to her kid and took his hand in hers.

I said, "Excuse me, Ma'am." She then offered me a smile as she gazed at me.

"All right," she said.

When I exited the room, Meghan was carrying papers and headed towards me. She works as a nurse at the same hospital where I do.

"Could you please bring this to Doctor Kevin's office, Yhena?" She stated it quickly, like if she was in a rush.

She said, and I wasn't incorrect, "I need to go home early," she was rushing.

"Why? What's wrong?" I inquired, concerned.

"Because-" she came to a halt and immediately removed her phone from her pocket when it rang. She gave me a sidelong glance before picking up the phone.

"Hello Mom," she began, her bottom lip biting, and I could tell she was nervous.

"Mom? Love, this is me!" She looked at me as her eyes widened and she quickly turned away when she heard a male voice.

"Is that your boyfriend?" I inquired, giggling.

"I'll call you later, love," she murmured quickly as she hung up the phone. She gently shifted her gaze to me, as if she was about to cry.

"The truth is, Yhena, today is our first anniversary. I understand why the doctor won't allow me to leave early because I have a lot of papers to give, but I don't want to miss this important occasion in our lives," she stated.

"Don't worry, Meghan, I'm not going to tell him. All of this will be delivered by me. I hope you and your boyfriend have a wonderful first anniversary," I tapped her shoulder and smiled.

She grinned and replied, "Thank you, Yhena."

"I'm curious Yhena, why don't you have a boyfriend? You are both attractive and intelligent, as you are aware," she stated.

"What are you talking about Meghan, I'm waiting for someone, now get out of here before I change my mind," I joked.

"I'm sorry, Yhena," she said as she hugged me and swiftly walked away.

"I'll treat you to lunch tomorrow," she added as she turned to face me, and all I did was give her a thumbs-up to indicate that everything was well, and she smiled before turning and running.

I sighed as I watched her run, then my focus shifted to the papers I was carrying. When I looked around, I was taken aback to see Doctor Kevin. He's wearing a stethoscope, and our gazes connected as he looked at me before walking towards me.

"Nurse Yhena, why are you carrying so many documents?" He inquired, concerned, as he examined the documents I was carrying before turning to face me.

"It's fine, Doctor Kev," I said hesitantly, "I'll just put it in your office."

"Why? Where is Meghan?" He inquired.

"Her mother contacted me, Doctor," I explained, "and there is an emergency at their house, so I told her that I would just be going to deliver the rest of the paperwork that she needed to deliver so that she could go to her parents," I'm hoping Doctor Kev didn't catch me lying.