01

I hugged the pillow as I leaned against the wall, remembering how much I cried alone. I couldn't sleep because it was so cold, and it was past midnight, and there seemed to be some explanation for why I was still awake. I took my phone from the table by the side of my bed and dialed Mom's number. I was taken aback when she eventually returned my call. I can't seem to articulate myself, and while I'm relieved that she has responded, I'm also nervous.

"Why?!" Her voice sounded enraged as if it wasn't even her daughter who had called. I sometimes hear music, as if she's at a party or somewhere else.

"It's great that you already returned my call, Mom. It's Yhena on the other end of the line," I grinned nervously while biting the inside of my lower lip so hard.

"Why?" she asked. "What do you need?! If it's money, just wait I'll send it to you tomorrow!" She replied. I suddenly lost my smile, as if I was chasing her for money.

"Mom, when are you coming home? I didn't call for money, but I wanted to be with you Mom."

She sighed and said, "I'm going home soon," she replied, annoyed.

"Mom, it's been five years since I've seen you, and I miss you. Didn't you miss me?"

"What if not?" she exclaimed emphatically.

As I looked at my blanket wrapped around my thighs, I was taken aback by what she said. Mom abruptly hung up the phone after a few tears fell on the pillow I was hugging. Every time the phone beeps, it feels as though it is stabbing my heart. I set my phone down and let it go. I was weeping while leaning on my bunk, and it was raining heavily outside at the same time. The environment became even colder as if the weather understood how I was feeling.

Why has my life been so difficult? All I want is to be happy.

For no apparent cause, I awoke early. When I stood up on the bed, I felt drab before heading out to freshen up, I took a jacket and brewed a cup of coffee. I was on the balcony on the second floor of my house while drinking a cup of coffee, feeling the wind brush my hair in the frigid morning. Since I am on a day off, there isn't much going on today. I'm just enjoying the lovely view of the blue in the distance on the left side. I was bored, so I cleaned the whole house. In my tiny living room, I sat on the sofa, holding an old camera. I examined the photographs of the three of us. I tried to undo the recollection by watching as we walked back together as the quality abruptly deteriorated and went black and white. I wish I could go back in time and see how happy I or we were years ago. I miss my parents, Mom and Dad, and how happy we were.

I dressed for a stroll at precisely two o'clock in the afternoon. I just wore a white cardigan with a white camisole underneath. It's being adjusted so that my left shoulder and camisole are noticeable. I wore brown boots and high-waisted distressed jeans. I brushed back all of my strands of hair. I take the top half of my hair and tie it in a ponytail, leaving some bits in the front to frame my face. I make a gap in my hair with my fingertips just above the hair elastic that secures my ponytail and so on. Before leaving, I double-checked my appearance. Then I drove away in my father's black car. No one used it after Dad died, and I didn't want to just pile it up in the shed. I considered studying, and as the years passed, I studied and eventually obtained my driver's license.

Since the weather was good, I took advantage of the beautiful scenery in our city. It's as though I'm a tourist, telling people where the beautiful scenery is, even though I know where it is. I pray at a well-known shrine here before visiting theme parks, museums, parks, and the bay walk. Finally, I went to the mall, but I only spent a small amount of money because I was afraid I would run out of it and be unable to spend it on important items.

I parked my car near the Cathedral and began walking to my friend's mother's store. When I arrived at their store, I saw him carrying bags, which I believe were their items. He was taken aback when he saw me, "Yhena?"