9 | The Kiss of Hell

Severus's POV

Severus's POV

Hard day. I was seated in my office, grading the papers in complete silence. The hours passed as I continued to drown in my own misery. I didn't want to get up, even to go back to my quarters. As the darkness finally crept in, I still sat where I was. I saw my eyes reflecting on the table as the world around me grew dark. I knew I would have some sort of nightmare tonight, so I just didn't bother to move. It was as if I was ready to accept whatever horror the nightmares held for me.

I rubbed my forehead until I slightly jumped back. Someone was here. I couldn't quite explain it but I felt someone's presence. But I was sure it were no ghosts of castle. This was whole different feeling. I felt a hand touch me. A hand! I felt warm fingers caressing my skin. But there was no one. No one at all. The office remained dark and empty. I thought I hallucinating but it was the opposite. This was no hallucination. I wanted to stand and look but I had already made up my mind that I wasn't going to. But whoever this was, I knew I felt something...Familiar.

You can't feel touch of ghost but this was completely different. I felt the touch. These fingers. They felt so close to me, yet so far. The warmth I felt from them happened to be comforting. It was a welcome change to the sorrow I've been feeling for days. The breathing right behind me felt real. So real. And then I realized. It was all about the smell. The smell...The smell was familiar. I recognized this smell. It was her...Caroline. I was sure now. But...How? How am I able to feel and smell her if she's invisible? These thoughts ran through my mind as this presence behind me made me feel so calm. So at peace.

Caroline's POV

What the hell was that? I had no idea what my intentions were. My last talk with Mary Ann slightly pushed me forward to do some action but as person who barely knew about anything related to love...This was disaster. It was better that way. I couldn't face Severus at all. True. I'd give forever to touch him and keep eye on him but he was closer to heaven than I could ever be. This was simply wrong. I was watching over him like he was my property. He never was and never will. I can't make him love me and perhaps I don't even want it. Or I do?

He made his choice, I really need to realize it. But other tiny voice in me was telling me something completely different. As I was lost in thoughts, I suddenly realized someone is watching me. I looked around, the school corridor was dark but for me that was the best option to see everything. And I saw him immediately. Harry Potter. I slightly smirked as he was wearing invisibility cloak. Good trick. No one could see him. Well, except for me. The way his heart was pounding when he realized we made eye contact even though he remained in the cloak.

This was my chance. "Nice trick." I chuckled quietly as I taken it off from him. "How...How can you see me..?" Harry was stuttering, I caught him off guard. "Years of practice, young man. But don't worry...It's just me who could see you. You can watch anyone and no one will know a thing." I winked playfully as I gave him the cloak back. "You're the one who saved us from troll...You're Caroline. I mean..Mrs. Milton! Harry said, observing me. "It's still a miss and be free call me Caroline, I'm no annoying teacher who's here to drain life out of you." I chuckled.