8 | Angel of the City

Caroline's POV

Caroline's POV

"Look who we got here." I chuckled as the elevator opened. To them it must have been turn of the century. Elegant. Two apartments per floor. And they weren't even inside. "Caroline." Kevin smiled as he approached me, stepping out of the elevator with a beautiful blonde woman who was around my age. Her hair were dirty blond and curly, while her eyes were sparkling. She seemed as the sweetest woman who's greatest fun to be around. An angel. That's what I saw and felt rather awestruck. She was gorgeous, from the smile, twinkle in eyes to her clothing.

"You must be Mary Ann! Happiest I finally get to know you." I chuckled as I gave her a quick hug. She wasn't holding back and returned the hug with pleasure. "Yes, that's me. And you must be Caroline Milton, Kevin told me about you. It's so sweet of you to come by." Mary Ann smiled as we pulled away. "Please. I live very near, the 66th floor." I smiled, not taking eyes off her. What a gentle soul. I could never corrupt her, even if I wanted to. "You're kidding? That's amazing." Mary Ann smiled, probably happy about this new.

"So it's just two apartments per floor?" Kevin suddenly asked as he observed no one was really paying attention to him. "Indeed. Well, I'd let it speak for itself. Shall we?" I glanced at the door of their new apartment. I slowly opened the door, letting them in. I smirked as I already saw their reaction coming. A dream. Twelve-foot ceilings. Huge, oversized rooms. Crown moldings, huge central hallway and light. This was heaven. Twisted, if you ask me. But as I watched Kevin and Mary Ann walking through it, to them it was heaven.

"It's what they call a classic eight." I commented as I observed them. They were completely blown away. "We had them paint everything white. Let you see it naked before you pick your palette." I added as Mary Ann continued gasping in happiness. "What am I picking?" Mary Ann asked, blinking in surprise. "Your colors, of course! But I need to warn you about one thing. There are going to be some very envious people at the firm. These apartments, there aren't many of them, it's really a partner's perk." I chuckled, making the pair even more excited.

Kevin really made incredible impression on my Dad, which is rather unusual but I couldn't blame him. This young lawyer had talent and never lost a case. There was something special behind him, still, I couldn't quite wrap finger about it. For now I could just observe and learn more about him through his personal life, especially through his lovely wife. In my childhood I never had many female friends, perhaps there were none. Currently I could pick from hundreds but the thought of gossiping whole day with senator's wife and others was highly unlikeable.

I already knew Mary Ann is different and we will get along. "Are you really this good?" Mary Ann teased Kevin as she couldn't stop admiring the apartment. "I sure as hell hope so." Kevin winked, enjoying the playful side of his wife. "They must want you pretty bad." Mary Ann added as she seated herself on windowsill, looking out of the window. There was perfect view on New York. "Look, Mare, I'm only getting behind this if you're on board. You want to go home, I'm with you." Kevin suddenly said. I had my doubts but with this statment I could see he really loved his wife.