𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒: 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐩 𝐎𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

Minutes later, Tina reappeared with a brown bag in her hand and Mason Bones at her side. 

"Hello again," said Mason, greeting Rune with a charming smile. 

"Hi." She turned to Tina for an explanation, but before she could get one from her, the boy began to speak. 

"So, Tina explained the situation to me. And since I am a guy, I can offer my help." 

"Okay," said Rune excitedly, as she turned to face him fully. 

"The first step," said Mason, conjuring a pair of glasses and wearing them as if he was a professor teaching his students, "Is to ask him if he likes anyone." 

"Why?" asked Rune, curiously. 

"Obviously to check if he likes anyone," said Mason matter-of-factly, before turning to Tina with a look that said what's with this girl? 

"And if his eyes look at you when he's answering, then he probably likes you." 

"Probably? What's the percentage probability?" 

"95%," he answered confidently. 

"Okay!" exclaimed Rune, with a clap. "How do I ask him though? Do I just tap his shoulder and shoot my question?" 

"Are you nuts?" asked Mason, with an amused smile. 

He motioned to Tina, and she unwrapped the brown bag to display a bottle of Firewhisky. 

"It's time to play a game." 

***

Just as curfew approached on Friday, Rune walked into the boys' dorms and went straight into a specific room. 

Four pairs of eyes swiveled away from the game of Gobstones and landed on her, and she raised her hand in an awkward wave. 

"What's up?" asked Rabastan pushing himself up from the floor and looking at Rune in curiosity. "Are you lost?" 

"No," she said, looking around the room. "Didn't Evan tell you guys?" 

"Tell us what?" asked Mulciber, with a tone of slight annoyance. 

She held up the bottle of Firewhisky. "It's Friday night, and I have alcohol." 

"Then," said Mulciber, his tone completely changed. "Welcome yourself in, sweetheart." 

As if the world was on her side, a gobstone squirted its foul liquid onto Mulciber's face and the boys around him barked out in laughter. 

Rune cringed at the sound, beyond thankful that she was not born an obnoxious boy. 

"Tough luck, buttercup," snorted Barty, as Mulciber got up to change. He reclined onto his back and patted the ground beside him. "There's a space next to me, Rune."

This, she wanted to tell Super Mysterious Guy, this was what was attractive. 

Rabastan moved into that patted space and motioned for her to sit beside him. "Is Evan on his way?" 

"Yeah," answered Rune, choosing to sit beside Rabastan so her plan could fall into place. "He said he's going to find a few more people to play though." 

As if on cue, Evan stumbled into the room with two girls at his hip. Sylvia Sallow and Irma Purkiss. 

Avery whistled in appreciation. "Nice going, Rosier." 

The two girls glanced at each other sideways, sharing a smile that could only be interpreted by them. 

"Ay, Rune!" grinned Evan, immediately moving towards her. "You are definitely my favourite person in the room. Now let's see the goods."