𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐢𝐫𝐜𝐮𝐬

Start from the beginning

Just as she opened her mouth to disclose the secret, the door swung open and the said Ringmaster swooped in, a cape of sparkling white billowing behind him. 

He looked around with his calculating, dangerous eyes and they lit up as they passed each performer. "This room alone," he said with a great sense of pride, "is the reason for my success. All my hard work manifested into you three- soon to be four- beautiful women." 

The girls took their turns murmuring their thanks to him before he made for Rune and extended his arm to her. "Let's go, my Rune." 

"I've still got make up and dress rehearsal—" 

"Not to worry. You're priority when we return." 

She was about to argue when he said, "I've got you Kingfisher." 

Her mouth shut instantly, and she allowed Honorius to take her from the room. 

Both Sakura and Mysta had been bought off the Wizarding Dark Market a couple years ago, but Rune had been found by Honorius when she was a baby. Though he hadn't been pleased by it, the fact that Rune could attend any school was a privilege. And it wasn't her only one. 

She knew the other performers whispered rumours about her, she felt their eyes on her each time she returned. She knew they defiled her behind her back. Some thought she was The Ringmaster's illegitimate child was others believed she was warming his bed. 

She laughed at their pathetic assumptions for they had not known their Ringmaster at all. 

The only reason he showed Rune any interest at all was because she was his biggest spectacle. 

Their Christmas and Summer performances were sold out no matter which part of the land they landed on all because Rune was present for those. Her malediction, her curse, drew in sponsors and caught the attention of powerful beings from across the globe. 

It was sick to think the world could come together to ogle at the thing that would be cutting her life short. The thing that was the end all and be all of who she was. 

Good was difficult to come by but it appeared that bad was in over-supply. 

"A penny for your thoughts, Rune." 

She turned to the man and shook her head. "It's nothing." 

"You're not angry about the dress, are you?" 

So, he had known it wasn't up to par and still sent it to her. "No." 

"Good, because I know all the other ones would have made up for it. October's dress was made with the entire profit from our Opening Act in Beijing." 

"I'm not angry about the dress! You'll be pleased to know that it was actually a beautiful fit. Perfect for the occasion." 

Honorius narrowed his eyes ever so slightly, just managing to mask his temper. "Then I take it you're angry that I didn't let you spend Christmas with that Wizarding family." 

"I'm not—"

"That is a ridiculous reason, Rune. You spend months with them at that darned school. You get one week off for Christmas and even that you want to spend with them. Do I not matter to you?" 

She shook her head. "No! I'm not angry about anything!" 

"Then why have you been moping around? You've been here three days, and this is the most I'm talking to you!"

"I've been... doing homework..." 

As if. 

All she'd been doing in between practices was speak to Super Mysterious Guy. 

"Homework?" 

Though it had been years since the encounter with Albus Dumbledore, there was still a fear of him left in Honorius. 

"The Headmaster personally checks the homework after Christmas break. I just don't want to get in trouble," she shrugged.

The Ringmaster contemplated for a moment for sighing loudly. "I really dislike that darned school." Then he motioned to the dining room. "But why don't you tell me about your adventures there while we dine? I've got all your favourites prepared." 

"Then you'll have no problem making me talk," she said as she stepped forward. 

Once the performance was over, the week quickly rushed past and before long, Rune had bid goodbye to the circus. 

Relief settled into her as soon as she boarded Hogwarts Express.

Her guard must have been down too long, because she let out a yelp at the feeling of her hair being pulled. 

"Regulus!" she shrieked angrily, not needing to look at his face before turning around and stomping along the train as she chased after him.