Chapter 8: First Mission

Asta woke up the next day and looked around. He was surprised by the strange room he was in and then he recalled that he was in his new room at the Black Bull's base. Now that he was up, Asta started doing the chores that he had been assigned the previous day. The last chore that he had to do was to feed the magical beasts that were kept in the basement. Asta held up some meat to the beasts, "Here you go. Enjoy some nice, warm meat." Instead of eating just the meat, the beasts attempted to eat Asta. He began to struggle to escape the beast's jaws when Noelle walked down the stairs and saw what was happening. She asked, "What are you doing, you idiot?" Asta was finally able to escape the beast's mouth and said, "Hey, you should be helping too!! We're both newbies to the squad!" Noelle scoffed, "I am royalty. I don't do such useless things." 

Magna descended down the stairs to check on them. He laughed after finding out that Asta had nearly been eaten by the magical beasts. Yami came down and told Magna that they had to go on a mission. Asta attempted to get them to bring him along with them, but they refused and said that it was too dangerous for him. Asta groaned in defeat but quickly recovered. Once he was done with the chores, he went out into the forest and started training using the various weapons that he had access to so far. It still seemed that the anti-magic sword was the only thing that he had access to whenever he wanted. However, it wouldn't be enough. In order to become the Wizard King, he would need to be able to use his powers to their fullest extent.

Later, Magna and Yami returned to the base. However, the two of them were in only their underwear. Noelle was horrified at the sight in front of her, "Why are you two naked?" Yami chuckled happily, "Well, we lost all of our money and our clothes when we went out gambling. This old man was really good and beat us easily." Asta frowned, "Wait, the important mission that you went on...was to gamble." They both laughed happily at the fact, as if it was something to be proud of. Yami sat down on the couch, "Anyway, I have a mission for you two. The old guy let us keep our grimoires if we did him a favor. He wants us to take care of some boars that are bothering his village. Turns out he was the head of the village. Leaders sure do have a lot of responsibility." Noelle gave him a deadpan look, 'Seriously, you're saying that?' Yami continued, "Anyway, you two, head over to Saussy village and take care of the boars for him." The two of them were shocked, "What?!" Asta started speaking up, "Wait, why do we have to it? You're the one who made the deal." Magna yelled, "What, do you expect Yami to clean up his own mess?" The two of them thought, 'Uh, yeah?' Yami stood up and glared, "Fine, your choice. Either go or die." Asta and Noelle replied, "We'll go."

The next day, the two mages were on a broom with Magna, heading to Saussy village in order to get rid of the boars. Magna grumbled at the fact that he had to take the two of them, "How is it that neither of you can ride a broom?" Asta said, "I can't use my magic and I have no idea how to ride one even if I did have access to my magic." Noelle followed with, "I don't have control of my magic, so of course I can't." Magna looked back at them and yelled, "Why are you acting so cocky? Whatever, I'll get us there in no time flat." He released more magic into the broom to make it go faster. 

After a few hours after arriving to the village, Asta was able to defeat all of the boars that had been terrorizing the village. Noelle had attempted to help, but her magic just ended up hitting Asta and making things more difficult for him. Once they were done, the group went to the village to report to the head. However, when they reached the village, it was surrounded in a strange mist. Noelle and Magna immediately noticed that it was made of magic. Magna said, "Asta, cut through the mist using your sword." Asta chuckled, "What? You can't cut mist with a sword." Magna growled, "You idiot. Your sword can negate magic and the mist is made of magic." Asta finally understood and did as he was told until they managed to reach the center of the village. Once they did, they saw that the villagers were gathered and where about to smashed by large chunks of ice. Magna and Asta took action and destroyed the ice to protect the citizens. They then moved to fight the men who were responsible for the mist and attack.