Chapter 7

The entire crowd gasped as soon as the name was mentioned

The entire crowd gasped as soon as the name was mentioned. Maddy couldn't recognize that name but she assumed that the girl was someone special judging by the looks on the faces of the people in the crowd. Soon the entire crowd started cheering as Xander continued to smile awkwardly and fiddled with his fingers.

However, the matefinder wasn't done yet. "There is one condition that needs to be fulfilled first. Xander's case is..." the matefinder trailed off, trying to find the correct word. "Xander's case is special, unique."

Diana immediately leaned forward with concern.

"The normal process will not be applicable for them. Instead of shifting to their wolf form to complete the second step, they will need to follow the older custom."

Immediately the crowd started murmuring with confusion. Xander too frowned and glanced questioningly at the matefinder.

"What is the older custom?" Maddy whispered to Alexa and Leia curiously.

"A long time ago, instead of shifting, the two mates used to meet under the moonlight on a full moon day for the first time. Something special happens and that completes the second part of the bond. Nowadays, this is not done because no one is patient enough to wait for the full moon."

Maddy quickly did the calculation. The full moon was only two days away.

"If you don't follow this, the entire pack will be doomed and destroyed," the matefinder shouted. She then nonchalantly stepped away from the podium, as though she hadn't just told the entire pack that they'll be destroyed if they didn't wait for the full moon.

One by one, the werewolves started getting up and leaving. Dinner was being served in the cafeteria and all the werewolves started making their way to the cafeteria.

"Well, that got dark really fast," Jeremy commented as he got up.

"No kidding," Alexa said.

"So, the pack is going to wait for this full moon?" Maddy asked.

"Definitely," Xander said as he joined the four of them. "No use risking the entire pack."

"Well," Maddy voiced out a question that had been bugging her since the start. "If you don't meet Sophia in her wolf form, you won't be able to get killed. Then why don't you like postpone this ceremony until this fight with the boss is over? That way you won't be able to harmed."

Jeremy chuckled. "You think people haven't tried that? Until you complete the first two steps to complete the bond, your soul is restless. Sure, you won't die, but it is also very uncomfortable and—"

"It is like a mosquito bite," Alexa interrupted which made Jeremy glare at her. "It continuously itches and makes you uncomfortable and restless. The only way to get rid of it is to finish the first two steps of the mate bonding process. Imagine having a perpetual mosquito bite. That shit is scary."